Sign in to follow this  
Thereisnospoon303

NEW POLICY: Signatures and .gif images

325 replies to this topic

Thereisnospoon303
By a majority decision, the moderating staff of this forum has officially chosen to implement a file size limit on content found in users' signatures. No file may exceed 1MB in size, nor should any combination of files exceed 1MB. Any member found with a picture(s), .gif image(s), or any other content larger than 1MB will be sent a message to remove said content. If they fail to do so in a timely manner (at a moderator's discretion), their entire signature will be deleted and they will be given a verbal warning. Afterward, a user will receive a strike if they choose once again to upload content exceeding 1MB.

Members who currently may exceed this file size limit have one day following the posting of this decision (meaning the deadline is around noon EST on 6 September) to appropriately manage their signatures. Afterward, they are subject to the implications of this decision.

As always, please contact us if you have any questions.

Responses should stay in this topic.

ORIGINAL POST:

The recent uptick in .gif images in signatures has led to some discussion amongst staff members as to how we should proceed. With their permission, I am making this thread to voice our concerns rather than simply enacting a policy and having everyone argue afterward.

Obviously, more folks are using .gif images. While they were once manageable, such images have become excessive. It's not so much simply volume but size and volume. When members need to wait several minutes for one page to load because six members have .gifs that are upwards of 2 or 3 MBs in size, that constitutes a problem. There might also be an issue of taxing server resources, though I cannot say this with certainty. Regardless, it taxes individuals trying to browse the forum.

One could respond with two immediate points: either turn off signatures if you don't like them, or simply leave your internet cache as is so a member is not required to reload the .gifs. Both points would be somewhat valid but ultimately unsatisfactory. I, and I am sure I can speak for a few others as well, enjoy signatures; they can be funny, entertaining, and otherwise add some flavor to thread browsing. Why, then, should I receive the short end of the stick because a few folks feel it necessary to place giant pictures in their signatures? It would be just as bad if the staff decided to eliminate signatures entirely and explained that they were ultimately superfluous. It would be high handed and punishes everyone for the actions of a few.

So, what can we do? Or, more appropriately, what can some members do? If you want to have .gifs, that's fine; just keep them under 1 MB. They're supposed to be just short segments to begin with, so avoid an unnecessarily long animation. Getting rid of giant images would be swell, too.

Contrary to popular belief, spoiler tags do not remedy this problem. They only sweep them under the carpet and keep them out of sight. It doesn't change the fact that your giant .gif, and maybe that enormous .jpeg you keep hidden with spoiler tags, is taking up way too much space.

If you need spoilers in your sig, then perhaps it's time to trim it down.

What the staff is trying to do here is compromise with the community before setting anything in stone. "Don't be a dick" is the rule here. We'll do all we can to be respectful of contrary opinions. Likewise, we ask for your respect as well. Name calling won't validate your argument; it'll only make you look like a whining child. The only really effect it will have is pushing us closer to taking action.

That being said, let's make use of this time and hopefully turn this into a substantive discussion.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 258 days before it was shut down You went to Ohayocon with all those other goons. Good man. For service. SuperYoshi article Poopcast, interview. Helping out on the front page. Good boy. Well. You do own the place. Funniest short story in Rabbit's contest.

Thereisnospoon303
Who's idea was this? I didn't sign anything!

TED, IT'S A TRAP! A SNIPER'S TRICK TO LURE YOU OUT.

Seriously, though, this needs some open discussion.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 258 days before it was shut down You went to Ohayocon with all those other goons. Good man. For service. SuperYoshi article Poopcast, interview. Helping out on the front page. Good boy. Well. You do own the place. Funniest short story in Rabbit's contest.

Thereisnospoon303
I understand, I will get rid of my avatar to help the cause.

Avatars are not so much the issue. Don't make them obnoxious, of course, but they have size limits to begin with, I think.

The problem has to do with signatures.

Gary

If my sig is a contributor to this problem, I'll get rid of it.

I'm not exactly filesize savvy, as far as what's annoying and what isn't (mainly because it varies with the browser), so I just need clarification.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Knowing ZergSlaya in real life, as well as meeting up with Derryb and Miles. For being a winner in the Trap Master competition! It's a secret, secret, form-u-la How'd you find me? One, two, three four five... For organizing a forum event, right? For most conspicuous bravery and valor in the face of the enemy.

RAKninja

institute "peer review"

if someone's sig is excessive, let the users point it out. a mod can then pm the user in question. and if the user refuses to change it, the mods have the power to remove the offending images on a case by case basis.

its a bit more hands on, but it puts the real power in the hands of the users, and it also gives the users the responsibility to not make it excessive, without hardcoded features.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS For being on the Vanilla forums for 53 days before it was shut down IAMTENNISBOT

Thereisnospoon303

I'm not exactly filesize savvy, as far as what's annoying and what isn't (mainly because it varies with the browser), so I just need clarification.

As I said, it's far more manageable when it's less than 1MB. Anything beyond that borders (or even exceeds) obnoxiously large.

RAKninja

2577.24 KB

rightclick the image and look at properties.

yours is 2.5 MB

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS For being on the Vanilla forums for 53 days before it was shut down IAMTENNISBOT

ThaNuke
  • Banned
  • I understand, I will get rid of my avatar to help the cause.

Avatars are not so much the issue. Don't make them obnoxious, of course, but they have size limits to begin with, I think.

The problem has to do with signatures.

Oh, I'm sorry for posting that then.

Also, The Pope has been making some long ass sigs lately for the masses.

appdirect

Is because of The Pope gifs, although he was just trying to be nice.

For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016, Member with Funniest Posts 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.

Dillrod90

I love signatures, but as you said, some are so long that just scrolling past them makes my browser crawl.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For Ohayocon, and making it such an amazing success! For all the lago love. For service. For organizing the amazing Ohayocon! Thanks for the cookies! Rabbit liked them, too.

Thereisnospoon303
    institute "peer review"

if someone's sig is excessive, let the users point it out. a mod can then pm the user in question. and if the user refuses to change it, the mods have the power to remove the offending images on a case by case basis.

its a bit more hands on, but it puts the real power in the hands of the users, and it also gives the users the responsibility to not make it excessive, without hardcoded features.

It's not a bad idea. My hesitation would be twofold: nobody would do anything, or some members would start to abuse the system in order to go after other members they don't like. Not that any system is perfect here.

It would help if members get on board with this, though. Sort of a self evaluation as of now.

Dillrod90

Allow the ability of peer review to a certain amount of trust-worthy members, limiting the risk of abuse of power.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For Ohayocon, and making it such an amazing success! For all the lago love. For service. For organizing the amazing Ohayocon! Thanks for the cookies! Rabbit liked them, too.

KlausTheWizard

Ah. Yes, some gifs cause problems for me.

Specifically, when I scrolled Gary's gif he just had onscreen, there was some slowdown. Some other gifs like this are problematic, but no others come to mind.

I think a good filesize limit would be appropriate, maybe.

For getting 2nd place in the Spooky Poop Contest 2015 Spooky Poop 2015 For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating November 2013 - Overall, Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years July 2013 - "Alton Brown ultimate smackdown of Bad Eats" (Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 12 videos

Thereisnospoon303

As far as The Pope goes, I don't want to single him out, as much as this issue has been exacerbated by his .gif creations. People had to make the requests and place them into their sigs. Pope gave what folks wanted, although at unnecessarily large sizes.

Bottom line is there had to be some handshaking going on for this to grow so rapidly.

Thereisnospoon303
    Implement a No sig/Avatar/Posting rule.

Problem solved!

Who said you were even posting?

RAKninja
    institute "peer review"

Yamino already tried that with Pope, and he just kept adding it back each time.

make an invisible usergroup that does not have permission for sigs and place repeat offenders in it.

or just issue a strike.

Emperor Ing
    Is because of The Pope gifs, although he was just trying to be loved.

I call 'em like I see 'em.

I am loathe to force anyone into getting rid of sigs or removing what they want, but it also is irritating for an entire page of a topic slowing down to a crawl because everyone has a gif in their sig. What once was unique is horribly overplayed. I like gifs, but come on.

And the argument "just turn sigs off" is stupid. I LIKE sigs and signatures. It allows a little bit of personality, even though many don't take advantage of that. I don't want to turn them off because of something gay like overabundance of gifs in the sig. And the fact that they are so ridiculously large in file size is what irks me, personally. These huge blocks of MBs gets ridiculous, and my compy may be fast by relative standards, but even then, a glut of such sigs taxes its resources.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 67 days before it was shut down http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/topic/20616-the-comparative-history-of-the-svirean-people/ For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! For doing something awesome, I dunno. THANKS FOR THE HELP, BROTHER Thanks for participating. Awarded to you as a member of the team Windows Movie Maker Miscreants for emerging victorious in the tennis season! Congratulations on the result of your teamwork, skill and endurance! For taking part. Tennis Fuck Choice award. you did it my boy, you won. the birds, how beautifully they sing in the pit.<br />
<br />
it is indeed clean. ing vs moogle was one of the best tennis matches i have watched, so you sir, get one of the hardest awards on the site For 10 For 5! The most well behaved giant tentacle dark ballsack to ever live. For service. Ribbit! Something about Tennis. For Best Overall Character in Rabbit's Character Study Contest.

appdirect

I didn't knew you could make a global announcement on a subforum.

For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016, Member with Funniest Posts 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.