Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Psychotime

Wow. Endless Eight

16 posts in this topic

EDIT: I just looked it up. Possibly the greatest troll in history. I'm not even mad anymore. This is hysterical. I'll leave the original post for the sake of leaving it, though.

Ever actually gotten angry from any type of entertainment?

I started watching Haruhi, and I really like it.

But then I got into the 2nd season. Suddenly, everyone's stuck in a time loop where the last two weeks of summer keep repeating at the beginning of each episode, with small variation.

The main character gets close to stopping the trigger that causes the loop (once he discovers that time's looping) But at the end, he fails, and time repeats itself in the next episode.

Now, they aren't lazy and just repeat the episode. They show different aspects of the time loop, everyone wears different clothes in each day, as well as never repeating compositions and camera angles, so no drawings were copied to take a lazy way out. Sometimes quotes are different, or some specific moments don't happen at all, with new small incidents occurring, instead. The creators obviously took this idea very seriously.

After the eighth loop (the 15,532nd loop in continuity), the character finally breaks the cycle, and time becomes linear again.

Now, if you haven't watched it. Imagine this: You're watching every episode of a tv show in chronological order. Now imagine 8 episodes in order where the exact same thing happens, each one ending with hope, but then crashing down in failure, forcing you to see the events play out again for another 30 minutes.

It's like an insanity test. I really think they succeed at their goal to give an angry, frustrated, and helpless feeling (If that was the idea, which makes sense). I'm still feeling it.

But wow. I'm gonna axe the tv whenever I see an episode start with Kyon watching a baseball game again.

My goodness.

Imagine what that must have been like for the original Japanese audience?! When they turn on the tv for a new episode of Haruhi, and they travel through another turn in Hell. Actually, it gets even more clever in a weekly format. Maybe it wouldn't have the same effect it had on me if I watched how it was intended, instead of watching them back to back.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 10 videos

Ooooold.

The hilarious thing is people are actually buying the DVDs. And in Japan, most anime, including Haruhi, are sold TWO EPISODES A DISC. Also, my sister owns an "I survived Endless Eight" T-shirt.

If you do want a taste of what it was like for the Japanese audience:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/07/1 ... struction/

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/07/2 ... excusable/

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/07/2 ... %E2%80%A6/

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/08/1 ... r-viewers/

You watched Masketta Phantasmagoria with Benedetto and Dark Fox. For staying warn free for 9 years For getting 90 5-star ratings Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting 20 awards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for having 111 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Thrashblade Oelkers Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best YouTube Pooper 2014 Getting 1st in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013, Best Artist 2014, Member with Funniest Posts 2014
Best YouTube Pooper 2016 2013
Best YouTube Pooper 2015

User with Funniest Avatars 2016 April 2013 - "walrusguy where do u get the censorship beep sound effect" (Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 7 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down He has contributed some articles Interviewed. For winning lucky lottery.

Ooooold.

The hilarious thing is people are actually buying the DVDs. Also, my sister owns an "I survived Endless Eight" T-shirt.

Woah. Ok.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 10 videos

Someone post that picture of all the people who worked on the show with troll-faces pasted over them.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 283 days before it was shut down THANKS FOR BEING SO GOOD Thanks, Hoko.

So you didn't like it, right?

No, I love it, now that I know what it is. Possibly the greatest trolling in history. I'm not even mad anymore. They got me good. Jokes are always the funniest when you have a part in them.

So anyone recommend I watch through it or what?

For being on the Vanilla forums for 12 days before it was shut down

So anyone recommend I watch through it or what?

I want to see Endless Eight.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Best Musician 2016 For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For songmaking during the '11 Festival
For outstanding achievement in achievement! For taking pa-a-a-aaaaaaaart. Well done Link! You won! For news staff writings.

Wasn't there one episode where everyone switched genders or something?

Must be some other show. I just finished watching every episode. Didn't see any of that. No idea how that could even occur within the show's continuity and all.

Endless Eight is the greatest stunt in television history.

Wasn't there one episode where everyone switched genders or something?

That's just a fan-created idea that got way too fucking out of hand. You must have seen some fan art of it or something.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 128 days before it was shut down

Endless Eight is the greatest stunt in television history.

I second that. I actually used to DREAM of trolling on such a massive scale. I never thought I'd actually see it happen! And the joke is on anime fans, no less!

Dreams DO come true! Only problem is someone else did it first.