• Announcements

• Whelt

Regarding the recent update   07/20/2017

As you may be aware, the forum software underwent an update that turned out to be somewhat buggy. We rolled back the update for now, and will plan on making a more smooth transition later on in the future. In the meantime, you may notice the forum loading slowly as a lot of processes are running right now. We ask for your continued patience, and apologize for any inconvenience.
Psychotime

Tabletop Games

3,800 posts in this topic

I wonder if this thread would merit discussion for online CCGs like Hearthstone and Elder Scrolls Legends, or if this should be kept to physical games.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

I just learned about this new thing known as Link Summons in Yu-Gi-Oh!, and I just have two things to say about it...

1. Why do they keep coming up with mechanics for the game which would likely warrant their own separate game to revolve them around, and putting it into Yu-Gi-Oh?

2. How did they forget that they ALREADY HAVE CARDS WITH BLUE BORDERS?

For staying strike free for 7 years. Hosting the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange God the Hedgehog For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Halloween Festival awards. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest Apparently I was eligible for this all along. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Certainly quite a few pictures you've made there. For his 2011 Festival contribution

I just read through a lot of the tabletop rpg discussion from the past few pages of the thread because I love reading other people's stories and seeing their game ideas.

I started playing Pathfinder with some co-workers at my old job last year. I had only ever played a handful of times in the past, but I still had a decent level of familiarity with the rules and one other guy had a lot of experience with the game so he took on DM duties. Being the sadist that he is, he decided to start this group of people who had no idea what they were doing with an incredibly difficult 3.5 campaign he had converted to Pathfinder and it was awful. We wiped our first session because of mechanics involving fighting swarms and him being too stubborn to just not have the swarm if we had no conceivable way of dealing with it. Anyway, many harsh lessons later, he managed to turn this group of first-time adventurers into one of the most paranoid and overly-cautious groups of people to ever play a game. We've taken turns DMing other games since we grew tired of him blatantly just trying to kill us and only now is anyone really gaining the courage to try to do anything interesting that isn't just a safe, optimal solution to whatever problem we may be facing. 

I ran a really open-ended game that I made up as we went to try to ease everyone's nerves after dying horribly in the first game we played. I told everyone to make a character that would be interesting to roleplay as and I will adapt the story to however the party's characters developed over time. Everyone said they wanted this utterly mindless game that was meant to be taken lightly and I said I would deliver. We agreed that the game would begin in a prison in the desert land of Afumbalo. The party consisted of:

• A hermaphroditic lizard ranger who worshiped Lamashtu and was obsessed with wreaking general havoc and essentially treated the party as his/her slaves. This was the previous DM's character and several sessions in I had him impregnate himself just to fuck with him. 
  • A druid who was imprisoned for fucking a goat and developed an obsession with spoons. The party later investigated the temple of an ancient God of Spoons, where they found an enchanted spoon in a treasure chest full of regular spoons, all of which he kept. 
  • A gnoll who had attempted to become a paladin and was very bad at it. He built his character around throwing weapons at his enemies/throwing his actual enemies
  • Macho Monk Randy Savage. He simply roleplayed as Randy Savage the entire time and was already in prison before the game started. He ran a fight club in the prison, which mostly served as a way to get the party together
  • A bard who played this massive cello. This was my friend who wanted to play one game to see what it was like. To avoid the party scavenging all his stuff and becoming overpowered, I simply had him explode after

The last time we played that game, the party had begun working for a gang and was being sent to infiltrate a theme park being used as a front by a rival gang. I had planned on writing a bunch of Disneyland animatronic ride-esque songs for this, but we wound up starting another game because I didn't have the time to work on it at that point.

Then we just ran Rise of the Runelords for a while, which was fun. After we finished the first book of it, this one guy decided he wanted to try to run his own game. Now, no one was opposed to this even though he doesn't really have a very clear understanding of the rules though he's been playing the game for over a year now. We figured maybe, at the very least, he might at least get a better understanding of how the game works from running his own campaign. He's definitely doing better in that department, but he's essentially written us into this boring hallway of a game where every notion we have gets shot down as he railroads us into doing what he wants us to do. Like, we've spent the entire time surrounded by this neverending canyon that we're seemingly stuck in. He had to go out of town for a few weeks recently, so I ran a game of Call of Cthulhu, which we all agreed was about the most fun any of us have had so far. I think the plan right now is to let him kinda run his game for a little bit and then everyone is really wanting to start a full-blown CoC campaign and actually see it through. I think it's way easier to work with just because it's a lot harder to metagame in it and it's a lot more focused on investigation and roleplaying than Pathfinder/D&D, which often just feels like you're doing constant battles and nothing else with way too many rules and numbers to deal with.

Anyway, I know fuck all about Magic or any other card games, but I'm happy to talk about tabletop games in general.

On 3/16/2017 at 10:20 AM, JazzDanceForChildren said:

So for a while I've toyed with the idea of making an RPG-lite adaptation of Speed Racer and I think I have an idea for a core dice system that captures the sort of gameplay and overall feel I want. Here's basically what I have for now.

I like that the rules are very light and quick to run, but there's still a push-your-luck mechanic that requires actual player input and keeps things interesting. Also the game incentivizes risk-taking since it has a payout system where it's better to fail horribly than it is to slightly miss the mark. Clown coins are almost like an alternate form of XP that you earn for racking up major failures to the point that someone could legitimately remain competitive in the game by intentionally botching most of their rolls and then paying out when they absolutely want to win at something. I feel like the rules have some good social aspects too in that there's an element of bartering involved setting the first roll when you're competing against another player as well as taking bribes. It seems like most of the parts for a small game that is actually fun and has player input are there.

This sounds amazing. Have you worked on it since?

Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For staying strike free for 5 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Posting after Dopply

@JayfromtheSun Glad to hear you've had some good experiences. It's unfortunate, but you run into a -lot- of bad games in the tabletop world, especially where D&D, Pathfinder, and other rules-heavy systems go. It takes some pretty good writing and know-how to make a game actually work. I've been in a fuck ton of really shitty campaigns online. One of which my friend and I had to leave within the first hour because of how horrible things were going, which we had never done before or since. I have some true horror stories.

I recently concluded a pretty good 5e campaign, though, which was the Curse of Strahd module homebrewed and in the Innistrad setting from MtG. It was run pretty well, though near the end there was way, way too much combat. What made me the most interested in the campaign was the roleplay moments and interesting things we got ourselves into, but sometimes it felt a little too rushed. I liked taking my time, and it seemed like everyone but the DM did too.

I've been trying to expand into other tabletop games from D&D and Pathfinder, but it seems like most people on Roll20, the site that I use to play online, are really only interested in that. And the few that aren't are for games that don't really interest me, or the GMs seem to be bad in some way. I'm more wary about what groups to join after all the horror I've witnessed.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Hosting the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange God the Hedgehog For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Halloween Festival awards. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest Apparently I was eligible for this all along. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Certainly quite a few pictures you've made there. For his 2011 Festival contribution

I've never actually played a game on Roll20. I messed around with it and felt like doing even the simplest of tasks was overly complicated, if that makes sense. I'm just used to being able to manually do it in front of me instead of having to manipulated this awkward interface. I could probably get into it if I got used to how it works. I've been wanting to try out 5e but nobody else in my group is really interested in messing with it. I had a hard enough time getting them to try out CoC, though they ended up really liking it. Right now, I'd just be content to get us going on something and actually stick with it instead of just jumping from campaign to campaign. One guy already has this plan to try to run Deadlands at some point in the near future, so I'm not overly optimistic about getting very far into a campaign anytime soon. But since it seems like we're mostly just dicking around with different systems, I feel like I could probably run 5e past them again and maybe they'd go for it. But I might look into some less rule-intensive games because that's just going to work better with the nature of our players overall.

Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For staying strike free for 5 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Posting after Dopply

2 hours ago, JayfromtheSun said:

This sounds amazing. Have you worked on it since?

I've playtested some scenes using it and found that the gameplay experience it offers definitely feels right for the source material and is fun to play. I also picked up materials to build custom dice and tokens and made a few for testing purposes and I was happy with how they turned out. The only real roadblock I'm hitting is that I want to keep the game light and simple and I'm not sure if I want to have explicit rules for things like weapons/gadgets or just leave those to the imagination so players have more room to roleplay them how they like. I'm also thinking of including a skill system where characters have scores between -5 to +5 in a given category and I'm not sure whether the game should have a static list of skills (might be the way to go given the scope of the source material) or players should have the ability to write in their own skills (generally what I prefer in RPG-lite games). I'm also thinking of ideas for customizable cars, but I don't want that to get too rules heavy either. The best compromise might be to give cars ratings on various types of terrain or track features (like straights, corners, off-road, etc.) and have the cars deteriorate throughout the race, but give the racers opportunities to pit for repairs in exchange for a sub-optimal roll that turn. I'm shooting to make the whole game fit on a brochure-sized sheet though, so at this point most of the work would probably just be doing some Photoshop stuff to make it look good.

If I manage to make it into a complete game, would anyone here want to try a one-shot playthrough of it?

For staying warn free for 9 years Designing card #18 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2012 - Overall For the category of Member With Funniest Posts, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015, Smartest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down

I'd love to try it out.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years

Same. I'd give it a go.

Getting back into GURPS again and trying to make up a Crime/Horror one-shot for my roommates. Since none of them feel comfortable with GURPS, I have to premake their characters for this one. Hopefully it turns out fine.

For staying warn free for 9 years Best Artist 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 10 videos

12 hours ago, supreme_slayer said:

I just learned about this new thing known as Link Summons in Yu-Gi-Oh!, and I just have two things to say about it...

1. Why do they keep coming up with mechanics for the game which would likely warrant their own separate game to revolve them around, and putting it into Yu-Gi-Oh?

2. How did they forget that they ALREADY HAVE CARDS WITH BLUE BORDERS?

Also another monster type without a level.

sigh

I'm regretting dropping Yugioh less and less with every passing day. Hearthstone Master Race 2017.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

17 hours ago, JayfromtheSun said:

I've never actually played a game on Roll20. I messed around with it and felt like doing even the simplest of tasks was overly complicated, if that makes sense. I'm just used to being able to manually do it in front of me instead of having to manipulated this awkward interface. I could probably get into it if I got used to how it works. I've been wanting to try out 5e but nobody else in my group is really interested in messing with it. I had a hard enough time getting them to try out CoC, though they ended up really liking it. Right now, I'd just be content to get us going on something and actually stick with it instead of just jumping from campaign to campaign. One guy already has this plan to try to run Deadlands at some point in the near future, so I'm not overly optimistic about getting very far into a campaign anytime soon. But since it seems like we're mostly just dicking around with different systems, I feel like I could probably run 5e past them again and maybe they'd go for it. But I might look into some less rule-intensive games because that's just going to work better with the nature of our players overall.

Well, it's not really any more difficult that setting up a grid etc in real life, and filling out sheets. You don't have to use the macros built into the sheets if you don't want to, but you can if you do. The sheets for Pathfinder and 3.5 are a little... hard to use, but you can also ignore them. The sheets for 5th Edition are pretty good, and there's a few to choose from.

5th Edition is a lot easier to play than Pathfinder is, and they would already have the basic idea of most rules going into it when converting. It's basically a simplified version of the game, but not exactly the same. You can also acquire the basic rules online for free at the Wizards website.

I would happily give the game a shot, Jazz. Also, nice to see you once again! Hope you've been doing well!

5 hours ago, supreme_slayer said:

Well, it's not really any more difficult that setting up a grid etc in real life, and filling out sheets. You don't have to use the macros built into the sheets if you don't want to, but you can if you do. The sheets for Pathfinder and 3.5 are a little... hard to use, but you can also ignore them. The sheets for 5th Edition are pretty good, and there's a few to choose from.

5th Edition is a lot easier to play than Pathfinder is, and they would already have the basic idea of most rules going into it when converting. It's basically a simplified version of the game, but not exactly the same. You can also acquire the basic rules online for free at the Wizards website.

I may see about getting everyone in the group to try out 5e at some point later this year. They've decided they want me to run a Call of Cthulhu game set in early Soviet Russia, which sounds fun as shit to do, so I'm probably gonna focus on that for a while. Either way, I'll probably get hold of some pdfs of it and read through them one night when I have some time.

Cool, I've sort of put this project on the backburner, but I'll let you guys know when/if I get a playable version together. I also need to think of a way to sequence scenes together without just leaving that purely at the GM's discretion (not even sure the game needs a proer GM role), but all of the episodes follow a pretty standard formula so I don't see it being super difficult. I also have a high quality rip of the entire show's soundtrack that I could make available for the game.

I've never used Roll20, but does anyone know if it supports custom dice graphics? And if not, does anyone know of an alternative?

Nice to see you around after a while too, Jay. I've been doing okay, hope things have been well for you.

For staying warn free for 9 years Designing card #18 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2012 - Overall For the category of Member With Funniest Posts, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015, Smartest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down

Posted (edited)

The only thing I've ever played that really came close to anything that y'all have mentioned was Warhammer (the medieval version, not 40,000), and that must've been when I was around 15 or so. Even then, I didn't really get into it that deeply, and it mostly came down to a very occasional match with a friend. We probably weren't even following the rules that well in the first place. I suppose painting the models was kinda fun, though I wasn't very good at that either.

Edited by Ben
You've GOT to be kidding Best Writer 2017 Millhouse, I'm so sorry! It sounds like you want ME more than you want this award. Season 2 For collecting all the silver cards For meeting Dark Fox! For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time during the community challenge. For having a blog featured For collecting all the bronze cards Best Writer 2016 For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For releasing an article about the journey of entering the Navy. Congratulations! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

I forget if I mentioned it in here, but Smash Up is a ton of fun, and I have all the expansions.

There's a digital version, but it's not very good and they charged you out the ass for the expansions. I prefer sticking to the physical version for that.

Man I've got a lot of sick board games right now.  Below is a review for each.

Splendor: This is the go to family game for us right now.  It's like $25 and despite having a theme that no one cares about (renaissance jewelers competing for prestige) it's just a very addictive game with quality pieces.  It's a great game with 2-4 people and is quick to set up and done in 30 minutes.  So it's really easy to get on the table and it's easy to teach.

Takenoko: Adorably panda themed game with some great pieces and fun gameplay that isn't too hard to learn. 

Carcassone South Seas: I didn't try the original but I hear it's basically the same game but with slightly different scoring. I love the south seas theme though. This game is easy to teach and quite fun.

Robo rally: I love Roborally, but it's really only fun with 4-6 people.  It takes a hot minute to teach but once you get it it's fine. The only problem is it's hard to come to a decision about how to handle some of the rotating conveyor belts that make you change direction. I think the pc version would be more fun.

Fury of Dracula (3rd edition): This is the most beautiful board in my collection of board games and this is my favorite board game. However, it takes 3 hours to play and 1 hour to teach someone. So it's hard to get on the table but when you do it's magical.  

Star Wars Risk: Much better than regular risk and not very much like risk really. This is a strategy game that mirrors the three pronged attack on the deathstar in RotJ.  For star wars fans who want a 2 player strategy game this is fantastic.

Patchwork: A very fun 2 player tetris style board game about quilting. Everyone I played with loved it and it's cheap and easy to learn. 

Machi Koro - a fun dice rolling game where you buy up properties and compete to make the most money. It's not my favorite but it's fun.

Forbidden Desert - a fun modular tile oriented cooperative board game like pandemic. It's fun but I only play a few times a year.

Star Trek Panic - while a bit more rules heavy than regular castle panic, this reskin is gushing with star trek theme and the enterprise looks wonderful. However, this is a difficult cooperative game. I think it's also fun solo, which I wouldn't say about most board games.  I only wish it was TNG themed and not original series themed.

Dead of Winter - A fun zombie game but it's rules heavy and there was a lot of confusion when we sat down to play. Plus, it took a while to set up. But fun none the less for a particular group.

Harry Potter Clue - Way better than regular clue if you like HP. The moving board is lovely. 

Star Wars Clue - I love the deathstar themed board for this but the game requires a rule tweak. I think you should roll with 2 dice instead of 1 because of the way the board is set up. It just plays a lot better that way. Not as good as HP Clue but still fun and pretty.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013 2013 January 2013 - "Batmans Overtly Sexual Fair Use Adventure" (Sentence mix-core) December 2011 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 55 videos A whoppin' 25 videos uploaded.

I discovered Splendor a few years back. It's fantastic, but damn is its box flimsy. It does not travel well. Still, great game.

Settlers of Catan and Telestrations baby. Those are my go-to. 

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Granting permission for a card that was later dropped For releasing articles on YouChew's Best of the Year series from 2007-2015. It's gonna hurt It's yours, my friend Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For taking second place in 2014's Chew-or-Treat awards. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years User with Funniest Avatars 2014
Spirit of YouChew 2017 Spirit of YouChew 2014, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2015
Spirit of YouChew 2016, Smartest User 2016, Most Helpful Member 2016, Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - Sentence mix-core, Classic For the categories of Funniest Signature and Spirit of YouChew.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015 February 2012 - "Merlin's Penis" (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down Cause he's Dopply!<br />
<br />
And for posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! Yesterday should count, right? For my cock. Obviously. A thanks to myself, I suppose, pardner. Miss10 gave this to me, and congratulated me. I felt special. For moderator service. For the most Fucking Horrifying Character in Rabbit's Character Study contest.<br />
<br />
Good work!

Catan's fun, but these days my go-to games are Smash Up and Cards Against Humanity, with Splendor if I have the time. Then maybe Catan if I have the time.

I'm trying to decide what character I want to play in Pathfinder. I'm thinking of being a Cleric named Windu and naturally I'd fight with a mace (eventually a magic one that glows purple). I'd be the baddest mother fucker in all the realm.  Plus I would worship some deity and live by a code with some cool magic powers and shit. 

But it's so hard because there are so many options and I want to play them all.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013 2013 January 2013 - "Batmans Overtly Sexual Fair Use Adventure" (Sentence mix-core) December 2011 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 55 videos A whoppin' 25 videos uploaded.

4 hours ago, Grease Witherspoon said:

I'm trying to decide what character I want to play in Pathfinder. I'm thinking of being a Cleric named Windu and naturally I'd fight with a mace (eventually a magic one that glows purple). I'd be the baddest mother fucker in all the realm.  Plus I would worship some deity and live by a code with some cool magic powers and shit. 

But it's so hard because there are so many options and I want to play them all.

Ooooohhh yeah. It is super easy to be sent to character creation hell in Pathfinder. There are literally thousands upon thousands of options for your character, and especially if you want to make a strong character, you have to search a lot. I usually just try and fill in for other people in games, so we can have the basic roles (someone to disable traps, someone who is actually good at social skills, someone good at melee, and someone who can heal and remove debilitating conditions).

Right now in a campaign I'm playing a Vigilante Stalker with multiple personalities who has a super massive bonus to Bluff, focusing on two weapon fighting and feinting. Down the line he will be able to get a surprise round pretty much every time combat starts due to a certain feat combo, as well. People crap on the Vigilante, but it's actually pretty good once you start getting your mid-level features. Around level 8 your character really comes to life.

I also have an idea for a Nature Fang Druid/Monk who just destroys dudes with his quarterstaff really well. The archetype replaces turning into animals with the ability to study your targets for extra damage, and with Monk and a special weapon enchant, I can focus pretty much purely on Wisdom.