Psychotime

Tabletop Games

3,806 replies to this topic

JazzDanceForChildren

So I don't have 100% of the Speed Racer RPG-lite idea that I mentioned here wrapped up yet, but I've made some additions and playtested what I have and I'm now really confident that the core dice mechanic is fun and interesting enough to carry an entire game. I've made some additional rules for racing, and stress tracking which are pretty simple and a list of skills that will be used in non-racing scenes. Racing basically follows the same dice rules from my other post, but each racer chooses the difficulty number that they want to try and match or beat with their roll and if they succeed then they advance that many points and if they fail then they only advance a small, fixed amount (5 points is what I'm using currently, but this might change). The first to reach a certain number wins. Racing is one of the few events in this system that requires an initiative order and it's determined by placement in time trials where players just make two full rolls, count the better of the two, and then are ranked accordingly with the highest rollers declaring their targets and rolling first. The racers' positions resolve all at once at the end of the round though, so if more than one racer crosses the finish line during the same round, the one with lower initiative needs to hit a higher roll on their last turn in order to overtake their opponent and actually win. So like if you had two racers who were at 85 and the one who had better initiative could call 15 and cross the finish if they succeed, but the other racer with lower initiative could call 16 to finish the race with 101 points and if they succeed then overtake the other player who cleared on the same round (but if both racers called and hit 15 to clear with 100 on the same turn, the one with better initiative would win out). I like this because it has a dynamic where there's a small advantage to going through the race with higher initiative, but you're also kind of vulnerable in the sense that the racers who have better initiative also set the pace while the lower initiative racers get a clearer picture of what they need to contend with to win out.

This is the non-racing skill list I'm using. A few might change, but for now I've mostly settled on these.

Heads Up!         

-          Keen senses and awareness help you notice things that others miss

Move It!

-          Running fast and traversing obstacles are no problem for you

Deadeye

-          You can hit your mark with anything from a slingshot to a machine gun

Wise Guy

-          Intuition and book smarts help you put together clues as well as use gizmos and gadgets

Gearhead

-          You know your way around all kinds of vehicles and machines, not just racecars

Loudmouth

-          You know people and have a knack for getting others to see things your way

Disappearing Act                               

-          You can make yourself scarce when you don’t want to be seen as well as escape capture

Funny Business

-          You’ll use dirty tricks and make mischief to get the upper hand

Smooth Moves

-          Coordination and grace let you pull off subtle motions that would trip up others

Backbone

-          You’re tough, strong and can hold your own in an up close and personal brawl

Characters don't have HP or equipment or anything. Instead, the game is using a really light and abstract rule where failing a skill roll earns you "stress" on that skill, which means that you automatically take one dice (per stress point) as a clown on subsequent rolls involving that skill. So by the time a characters has three stress points on a skill, they would need to spend a clown coin just to not instantly fail. In-game, stress doesn't have to represent being physically injured or mentally traumatized or anything, it could be anything in the situation which puts constraints on a character's ability to use that skill. So if you're using Deadeye to protect yourself in a gunfight and take too much stress and aren't willing to spend a clown coin to stay in the fight, then that could be interpreted as running out of bullets or having your gun knocked out of your hand or being held at gunpoint by an opponent or something. Currently, I'm just planning on having stress recover at a rate of 1 point (on every skill) per scene. Characters are supposed to play it fast and loose with narrative convenience in this setting, so the rules are more or less of built around enabling that.

I think this skill list is pretty decent as far as being compact but still reinforcing the setting goes, but it's a little lopsided in the sense that Heads Up! and Move It! are these universally valuable skills for any character since rolls on both of them are very common, but I'm not about to totally change the dynamic of this game or its feel just so the skills have better parity with one another and the game is still very generous with opportunities to use basically every skill. Also like I said in my earlier post, you can totally game this system by legitimately attempting to botch your rolls and earn clown coins, so there are also advantages to not ranking highly on a skill you're planning to regularly fail on anyway (although the probability is baked into the dice and your re-roll choices rather than your skill rating).

Pretty much the biggest thing that the system is missing at this point is some solid rules for cars and potentially money, but I also think going down the simulationist route of having an inventory where a ton of items at a listed for a concrete value is the wrong way to go since it's so at odds with the rest of the game.  Racing works fine even if you're just doing unweighted rolls, but I think some good rules are necessary to reinforce the fiction through game mechanics, at least. I'm considering just having a driving-based skill list that's separate from the other one, but it would be nice if the rules for cars and different felt different in a way that still meshed with the rest of the system. This is something that will still probably take a lot of work and testing since it's so central to the game's theme. I'm also considering some kind of system where sequential successes during a race build up some kind of meter (or multiple ones) which resets to the bottom if you fail a turn, but also allows you to claim a reward on a turn if you build it up high enough. Maybe something like a pinball-style jackpot system where you can spend a few turns trying to set up a really big opportunity could make the dimension of risk/reward a bit deeper and interesting without bogging the game down in unnecessarily cryptic shit and pointless subsystems that go against the spirit of the game.

On top of that, I also just want to have decent standards with editing and rules clarity with this system, but I can't really get there until I have all of the finer details ironed out. I'm going to shoot for writing something so straightforward and approachable that you don't need to know what an RPG is to understand what the point of the game is and how to play it, but for now I'm mostly brainstorming and that's kind of an inherently messy process.

For staying warn free for 9 years Designing card #18 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2012 - Overall For the category of Member With Funniest Posts, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015, Smartest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down

AGSMA

I assume that this thread also includes role playing games as subject matter.

I've joined a DnD group with some old friends from elementary school, and we're going to start a Star Wars Old Republic-themed session sometime soon. I have to take some time to read the entirety of the instruction manual, but so far I've already conceived my own character: Zig Kaso the Toydarian, the same species as Watto from Phantom Menace, who got scammed by a hutt. So far that's pretty much it.

For being part of the six-way tie for 2nd Place in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

JazzDanceForChildren
35 minutes ago, AGSMA said:

but so far I've already conceived my own character: Zig Kaso the Toydarian, the same species as Watto from Phantom Menace, who got scammed by a hutt. So far that's pretty much it.

In the meantime, why not start looking for a miniature?

Spoiler

OwmHfDW.jpg

For staying warn free for 9 years Designing card #18 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2012 - Overall For the category of Member With Funniest Posts, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015, Smartest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down

AGSMA

That trunk ain't gonna suck itself, that's a fact.

For being part of the six-way tie for 2nd Place in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

JazzDanceForChildren
1 hour ago, Ben said:

@JazzDanceForChildren  Have you considered incorporating huge spiders into your game?

I'm sure pretty much any RPG needs to have you fight a huge spider at some point, but I'm not drafting up a bestiary or anything for this game.

Kapten

My gf got me into DnD, that nerd :3 She's DMing a really good campaign with transformation as a core plot element and I'll be joining in as a half-elf sorceress named Morgan.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years August 2012 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Five of them videos uploaded.