• Announcements

• Whelt

Metroid Game Challenge!   09/03/2017

There's a Metroid game challenge going on now. Check it out in the Games forum!
robotnikman

Smartphones Megathread

688 replies to this topic

SirSigma   
SirSigma

My parents are letting me get a new phone, and I've narrowed my selection to 3 phones. One of them's a Blackberry, the other two are Android phones: Droid Incredible and Samsung Fascinate. Right now I'm focusing on the Droids.

I know one guy at my school who has an Incredible and another guy who has a Fascinate. Both of them say their respective phones are good, but I'm having alot of trouble deciding which one I want. Any suggestions fellas?

(My carrier is Verizon if you don't know.)

If I were you, I'd go for the Incredible.

For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. For writing 13641 words worth in blog entries. 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For the category of Most Likely To Rule The World.
2013 For the category of Most Helpful Member.
2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos Been here since the turn of 07. For having lost not one, but two accounts. Giving myself a PRRRROMOTION For servicing us. Heh. Thanks for the donation! The forum appreciates your good behavior. For Lucky Lottery.

Deaniac   
Deaniac

I went to the Verizon store and asked about the Incredible's pricing. After learning how crazy expensive the insurance is, I decided it wasn't worth it (mind you, my parents are paying for this phone), so I settled for the LG Vortex, a mid/low end smartphone that was released a couple of weeks ago. I was able to play around with it for a while and I liked it. It runs Android 2.2, so I'm not missing much. Except, you know, Google Maps, but I can forgive that.

The best part is that I was able to order it online for free.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

Cathexis   
Cathexis

Android 2.3 is starting to come out on Nexus One phones.. I'm waiting for the G2 version to come out.

Also, the Nexus S is coming out on December 16th.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For avoiding the tyranny of our regime.

SirSigma   
SirSigma

I'm sure the EVO is going to get an update for it sometime. In the meantime, the SDK developers will probably make a new CyanogenMod based off it.

For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. For writing 13641 words worth in blog entries. 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For the category of Most Likely To Rule The World.
2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos Been here since the turn of 07. For having lost not one, but two accounts. Giving myself a PRRRROMOTION For servicing us. Heh. Thanks for the donation! The forum appreciates your good behavior. For Lucky Lottery.

SirSigma   
SirSigma

Speaking of CyanogenMod, I got it installed successfully on my EVO. Now my phone really is the coolest on the block.

I love how much faster it is, how much more I can fine tune and tweak, how much better it looks, how it's more functional.

Thanks to rooting, I've gone from HTC Sense to CyanogenMod. And I can backup my system and configuration, reboot directly into recovery or my bootloader, apply themes easily, and block ads from any apps I have.

SirSigma   
SirSigma

I really hate triple posting and all, but I've got big news pertaining to Android. Android 3.0 Honeycomb has been unveiled.

Yeah, it's only for tablets, but it still looks great. I would actually consider getting a tablet if this turned out great.

Dual-Screen   
Dual-Screen

I just rooted my Droid 2 last night, it was really easy to do. I used the app z4root to do it.

So far I've installed a screen capture app and the ability to get wifi tethering for free. Now I gotta find some other apps to put my new rooted phone to use. Anyone here have suggestions?

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 42 days before it was shut down

SirSigma   
SirSigma

You'll definitely want to find "AdFree" on the market. It's a god-send.

Also, I'm running the unofficial CyanogenMod 7 on my phone. I finally got a taste of Gingerbread :)

SirSigma   
SirSigma

Ah, once again I have to bump this thread. I'm surprised I'm not the one who started it, lol.

Anyway, I rolled back to the stable CyanogenMod 6.1.2 release because a lot of apps I use weren't quite ready for Gingerbread yet, but I had a serious problem I recently noticed. My reception seems to be pretty bad, and when I looked it up, I found out I needed to update my PRL.

How do I do that? I need to use a Sense UI-based ROM and click the update button in the menus. I'm using CyanogenMod, which is based off stock Android 2.2, so I'm screwed because the PRL update function is closed-source and exclusive to Sense UI. The only way I can update the PRL to improve my frequency is if I can do a nandroid backup, alter my boot settings to support the latest release of Fresh ROM (a Sense UI-based ROM), flash it, update the PRL, then rollback with nandroid to my CyanogenMod setup.

Unfortunately, I'm a little worried about a few things, like how I tried this yesterday and Fresh refused to boot, and the possibility I lose my RSA keys permanently.

Also, the official CyanogenMod 7 nightlies are out at this time, but I think I can wait for a stable release first.

LOL, I wonder if anybody here understood all the jargon I used.

Captain   
Captain

I have a MyTouch Slide. it's pretty good, except it sucks with Skype. Crashes so many times

For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Mmmmmmmmmmmm Thanks for the donation 25 Matches of YESH Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 26 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 51 videos for 5 multiway matchez You've gone without a striiiike<br />You've gone without a striiiike<br />I still don't know what strike means<br />BUT you've gone without a striiiike

mot   
mot

I was considering going for the HTC Legend, and was on the verge of buying one before I found out that it has pretty poor audio quality through the headphones jack. I think I'll just wait until the Evo or Desire drops in price.

The whole reason I'm looking into Android phones is because my iPod Touch died. I can get free wifi practically anywhere in the city, and I already have a mobile, so in a perfect world I'd buy an Android equivalent of a Touch, but for some bizarre reason only Samsung have attempted this (and apparently it's a terrible piece of hardware). It's incredibly convenient to have access to the Web on the go, but it bugs me that you have to pay a small fortune to get it without buying an iPod Touch, and I'm certainly not buying any more Apple gear.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 35 days before it was shut down mod.def Fuck I dunno TITS Thanks, mot.

sanemurzu   
sanemurzu

my samsung galaxy s is awsum. all apps works fine except skype because its buggy as hell. my favorite apps are maybe last.fm scrobbler and ninjump is great time killer game. psx emulator works well only music is bit laggy and after half hour playing battery is dead so i dont use it so often. i just downloaded android 2.2 and i hope gingerbread comes soon to this damn region.

kuvaotettu29012011klo20.jpg

i take this picture at moms place... lol

and my english sux

For collecting all the bronze cards For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years 5 Matches and you get dah best prize :3 December 2011 - Overall December 2011 - "TERWA IS AN GAY " (Brain rape/Rape-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos

SirSigma   
SirSigma

I remembered hearing a lot of issues with Galaxy S and Skype, which kind of sounded odd to me, as to why they would work on pretty much any Android phone EXCEPT a Galaxy S one.

Also, I'm currently trying out Fresh ROM right now. It's very similar to the stock Sense-UI ROM, with a few extra things tacked on here and there. I might stay on it if my wireless reception is improved on it.

Nelson340   
Nelson340

Well, gonna get my Inspire tomorrow.

What should I do as soon as I get the phone? If it's buying something, I'll pass.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For finishing third place during the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

SirSigma   
SirSigma

Well, gonna get my Inspire tomorrow.

What should I do as soon as I get the phone? If it's buying something, I'll pass.

I don't think you should do this as soon as you get it (probably wait a month or two after), but I would suggest rooting once you feel your experience becomes stagnant.

Also, for anybody getting Android phones or those who already have them, you can check to see which ones are root friendly here.

Nelson340   
Nelson340

BTW, I have a question:

Like how Apple has iTunes gift cards that let you download apps and songs for your phone, are there any gift cards that add money to your Google account?

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For finishing third place during the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

SirSigma   
SirSigma

BTW, I have a question:

Like how Apple has iTunes gift cards that let you download apps and songs for your phone, are there any gift cards that add money to your Google account?

I don't believe that's true. I think you'd just need to use a debit card or a reloadable web card or something.

Captpan6   
Captpan6

I never really found the need for an Android since just about anything internet related I do on my laptop, which I travel with consistently for poop-making and other junk. I can't do that on a phone. I'm also not into social networking like Twitter and Facebook (I have a FB account but I hardly ever use it). Playing games is something I do on my portables, like my GBA and 3DS, and I doubt any phone will replace that. (The games are short and crappy. Angry Birds is a simple timekiller, nothing more.)

If I'm gonna get a smartphone it's gonna be a better version of the XPeria Play, since the one on the market is pretty bad from all the reviews I'm reading. I'm dying to play my old Crash and Spyro again, but I'm not gonna fork up dough for a device with more problems than benefits. I want my purchases to be worth it.

My Samsung Convoy is still one of the best phones I've ever owned. It's an old flip-job, but it's close to indestructible. I've purposely dropped the phone numerous times in front of my friends just to prove how strong it is. It's remained intact with barely a scratch; the back cover didn't even pop off and the front screen is still sleek. My friends are scared to risk damaging their own smartphones like that.

Smartest User 2017 For staying warn free for 9 years A Secret Achievement? I tell ya what isn't a secret; this award stinks! DO HOHOHOHOHO! For getting 90 5-star ratings Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years July 2012 - "The Worst Sonic Fanfiction Ever" (Overall, Regular) Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 60 videos with a 5 star rating May 2012 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 80 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 80 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 80 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 99 days before it was shut down 10 strong 5 strong For being a good pet owner. Good job! For winning lucky lottery!
Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo!

SirSigma   
SirSigma

Once you use a smartphone for a very long time, you find it very hard to go back to using a dumbphone.

If you were looking for Android phones, I would highly recommend HTC's hardware. Samsung is okay too, but I've heard of issues they have with their software (unless you planned to root).

If possible, I'd highly suggest going for any of the "Nexus" phones by different manufacturers. The Nexus S 4G coming to Sprint from Samsung looks very appealing.

Captpan6   
Captpan6

Well I'm Verizon so sux 4 me.

I doubt it would change my perspective anyway. I like keeping things simple and fun, nothing too overdone. The only way I'm gonna get a smartphone is if

1. They become budget phones

2. They make ones that float

Smartest User 2017 For staying warn free for 9 years A Secret Achievement? I tell ya what isn't a secret; this award stinks! DO HOHOHOHOHO! For getting 90 5-star ratings Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years July 2012 - "The Worst Sonic Fanfiction Ever" (Overall, Regular) Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 60 videos with a 5 star rating May 2012 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 80 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 80 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 80 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 99 days before it was shut down 10 strong 5 strong For being a good pet owner. Good job! For winning lucky lottery!
Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo!