robotnikman

Smartphones Megathread

691 replies to this topic

JazzDanceForChildren
1 hour ago, Eggy said:

That being said, I did do some research myself and my potential choice for a smartphone is Doogee X5 Max. It has Android 6.0 and a 4000 mAh battery and the reviews I've seen so far are very positive, not to mention I can pick this phone up for a measly $97.86 equivalent of the cheapest price available. If you think you have a better choice than this one for any reason then feel free to fire away, and I'll take a look at it and see if it can be picked up for a good price. PMs are welcome too.

My recommendation for getting the best budget phone at the sub $200 price point would be to buy a used phone that's a generation or two old from a reputable site that will mediate any issues like Swappa. A few months ago I got a OnePlus One there for $150. It's an "older" phone given that it launched in 2014, but it's still a totally competent device and I have no major complaints about it. The phone you listed isn't bad, but the OnePlusOne is better in virtually every respect (it's still a very good phone even by current standards), and it's more likely to see longer support from the manufacturer in terms of newer Android support. You'll probably have to shop around a bit for a really good deal, but that's definitely the course of action I would most recommend.

For staying warn free for 9 years Designing card #18 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2012 - Overall For the category of Member With Funniest Posts, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015, Smartest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down

Eggy
13 hours ago, JazzDanceForChildren said:

My recommendation for getting the best budget phone at the sub $200 price point would be to buy a used phone that's a generation or two old from a reputable site that will mediate any issues like Swappa. A few months ago I got a OnePlus One there for $150. It's an "older" phone given that it launched in 2014, but it's still a totally competent device and I have no major complaints about it. The phone you listed isn't bad, but the OnePlusOne is better in virtually every respect (it's still a very good phone even by current standards), and it's more likely to see longer support from the manufacturer in terms of newer Android support. You'll probably have to shop around a bit for a really good deal, but that's definitely the course of action I would most recommend.

Thanks pal. Just took a look at the OnePlus One and it seems like, if I choose to get this one, it may take a while since it's actually pretty pricey (in the only store I see it available in where I live, it costs a price equivalent to about $410, but I did find a cheaper used one here). It seems like a better choice overall, though what bothers me is the price I've mentioned and the fact that it has no microSD card slot (although the 64 GB of space and other things could more than make up for it as the only reason I wanted a microSD card slot is to have more space). I could maybe try Swappa and/or another similar site as well (seeing as it seems like a cheaper way to get a phone), though in any case I'd pretty much prefer a phone straight from the store or at the very least a local site like the one I linked to especially because I would like to get a new (good) phone as soon as I can.

Gee, it sure is BORING around here For coming in 3rd Place in the 2016 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in the 2016 Ghostly Art Contest For staying strike free for 5 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

SirSigma

Sometime during the summer, I had been curious over trying the BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition, and I eventually bit the bullet when Prime Day came along and I got a really good discount.

Good god, I miss having that phone so much. I eventually transitioned to a Priv that I'm using now, but the Passport SE had so much charm and such amazing build quality to boot. The only reason I upgraded was because the Android runtime was a little too old, and some apps I really depend on were kind of unreliable on it, like Audible being too slow to pause and play when I command it. I just miss being able to type things on that wonderful keyboard it had, and I miss the quirky form factor a whole lot. The Priv's keyboard is nice enough, but seriously not the same.

For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. For writing 13641 words worth in blog entries. 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For the category of Most Likely To Rule The World.
2013 For the category of Most Helpful Member.
2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos Been here since the turn of 07. For having lost not one, but two accounts. Giving myself a PRRRROMOTION For servicing us. Heh. Thanks for the donation! The forum appreciates your good behavior. For Lucky Lottery.

Bl4zeTMG

The LG G4 is still a great phone to use. I wouldn't want to upgrade to anything new yet. 

2TB of memory can make this thing completely future proof BTW.

Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

Deaniac

LG announced the G6 this past week, and it looks damn good. Like, give-Samsung-a-run-for-their-money good.

Ever since the whole Note 7 fiasco, I've been increasingly weary about Samsung products and whether I'd want to continue using them in the future. My Galaxy S6's battery has gone to shit and I'm pretty sure I'm eligible for an upgrade this year. Samsung doesn't seem intent on revealing the Galaxy S8 soon, so LG made a smart move to drop this news when they did so all eyes are on them. If the S8 ends up being underwhelming for whatever reason, I wouldn't rule the G6 out of the equation whatsoever. It looks like a sleek, stunning piece of hardware and LG seems to have dropped the module crap they so desperately wanted to make work for the G5. No gimmicks this time it seems.

It's funny, the first smartphone I ever had was a no-name budget LG device, so it's cool to see how far LG devices have come since those days.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

SirSigma

LG's definitely gone higher end in the past few years with their G2 (I think?) phone and onward. They've had plenty of moments since then where they looked like direct competition for Samsung's stronghold in the Android marketshare.

Anyway, I'm really excited for BlackBerry's newest Android offering, the KEYone.

kwZyd7T.png

I really like physical keyboards in my phones these days and I'm so tempted to upgrade to this once it's out. Fortunately, I purchased a factory-unlocked Priv, so I can always sell that and use the money towards this. The Priv is a nice phone and all, but the curved display bugs me because I can't put a glass protector on it (once you go with glass protectors, going to any other ones really sucks), and the keyboard feels inferior compared to my previous BlackBerry Passport SE's keyboard. Some of the design queues on this make it look like the spiritual successor to the Passport SE, which is another reason I'm really excited for this.

For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. For writing 13641 words worth in blog entries. 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For the category of Most Likely To Rule The World.
2013 For the category of Most Helpful Member.
2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos Been here since the turn of 07. For having lost not one, but two accounts. Giving myself a PRRRROMOTION For servicing us. Heh. Thanks for the donation! The forum appreciates your good behavior. For Lucky Lottery.

Deaniac

I'm cautiously optimistic about this after watching the Galaxy Unpacked conference this morning. All of the leaks were right but it sounds like it has the potential to be great. Samsung could use a victory after the Note 7 fiasco. It'll either be this or the G6 for me. 

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

AGSMA

Does anyone here know a good way to download APKs directly from the Play Store's website, i.e. via PC? There's websites like apkmirror.com but that website doesn't have the APKs which I intend to install. Unfortunately my phone, close to reach two years or use and in a couple of months I'll probably have to get a new one because mine has seen better days. Even more upsetting is how, no matter how many apps I uninstall they keep claiming that the internal memory has no memory despite having plenty of room to spare. There's an APK downloader plugin for Firefox, which is a pain because Opera is the main browser I use nowadays, ever since that bug in the latest release made impossible to hotlink images on this website. Oh yeah, and apparently it forces you to create an account. No thanks, I'll pass.

For being part of the six-way tie for 2nd Place in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

KingGr33n

My very 1st smart phone was the 2015 version of the Samsung Galaxy J1 (it was a prepaid). It was small, though, very poor with touchscreen, would end up taking pictures in my pocket. Then, a few months later, I went to Walmart and bought me the 2017 version of the Samsung Galaxy J7, which doesn't really have any problems though (I like the Sakura theme on it). But yeah, here are the smartphones I currently own:

Samsung Galaxy J7 V2017

LG K8 (I stole it from my brother, and he doesn't care any more)

iPhone 4s (another phone I own, which I play during class)

Alcatel One touch Pixi Eclipse (Really small, though, has problems charging)

ZTE N817 Quest (That shit broke on me when I bought it from the flea market for 50 cents

Samsung Galaxy J1 2015 (Sold it to someone)

Originally, I did have the Galaxy S5 Active, but my older brother was using a potato (Alcatel One a Touch Pixi Avion LTE), he wanted a better phone, so I gave it to him, and now he's enjoying it. I am getting Two iPhone 6's for free from two students once they get their iPhone 7's. But yeah, I am looking forward to see the new iPhone 8, but I've planned on getting the 6s Plus in Space Gray, cause I don't like the 7.

For staying strike free for 1 year. Submitting 5 videos to the Video System Lucario

Expression

The smartphone I currently use is a Droid Turbo 2 albeit a replacement one since the charging port on my previous one became sucky. Turns out a lot of people had a problem with this. Works great in many regards, however I honestly can't recommend it if you want to use it for more than 2 years, you might have worse of an experience than I did. It also has a tough plastic screen instead of a glass one.

I have an iPod Touch 5th generation, which doesn't really count as a smartphone in my opinion, but it runs iOS so I'll at least mention it as part of the reason why I posted here: I'm gonna see if I can restore it to stock. I haven't touched it in 2 and a half years.

For staying strike free for 1 year. Top 10 Videos of May 2016

KingGr33n
On 9/22/2017 at 10:16 PM, Expression said:

The smartphone I currently use is a Droid Turbo 2 albeit a replacement one since the charging port on my previous one became sucky. Turns out a lot of people had a problem with this. Works great in many regards, however I honestly can't recommend it if you want to use it for more than 2 years, you might have worse of an experience than I did. It also has a tough plastic screen instead of a glass one.

I have an iPod Touch 5th generation, which doesn't really count as a smartphone in my opinion, but it runs iOS so I'll at least mention it as part of the reason why I posted here: I'm gonna see if I can restore it to stock. I haven't touched it in 2 and a half years.

You're ipod could be treasure.

OT: I'm hoping I can get my hands on the imposter iphone 6 which runs Android Kit Kat 4.4.4, it seems interesting, thanks to Unbox Therapy. 

For staying strike free for 1 year. Submitting 5 videos to the Video System Lucario

TheDumbening

The phone I'm currently using is an iPhone SE. Over the past 7 or so years I've constantly flip flopped between iOS and Android but lately I feel like I've finally made up my mind on sticking with iOS. The biggest reason for me switching over was probably the lack of availability in compact android phones that don't compromise too much on specs compared to their bigger brothers. Only decent option I could find was one of the Xperia compacts, but they felt closer in size to an iPhone 6 than an SE and the 6/7/8 still feels a bit too big for me. For the past couple years I've just sorta gotten used to using Phablet-sized android phones but how I use my phone has changed dramatically since then. I don't really use it to watch videos, play games, split screen apps (which honestly I think is kinda dumb on a phone, every time I used it I didn't get the experience of using two apps seamlessly at once I just got two apps side by side that were too small to do anything with), or anything that'd really take advantage of a large screen. I pretty much only use my phone now for messaging people and social media at this point.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 283 days before it was shut down