Watermelons

One Piece

3,267 replies to this topic

The Pope

It'd be cool if they were doing things so that pulling a Kai would be easier down the line, but sometimes they interweave filler in with important stuff, which can be harder to separate.

I wouldn't mind them doing the cover stories at all, but for some reason they're totally adamant against doing those, but oh filler arcs are a-okay. Ech.

They're in a weird situation with Whole Cake Island; they can't really just up and stop and start producing filler content mid-arc, and it's gonna be a while (realistically, by the end of this year) until they catch up to where the manga is right now, which will then have built up a decent lead. It feels like they're hot on the manga's heels due to it being in the thick of Whole Cake Island, but you have to remember that between the planning of the wedding, crashing the wedding, Big Mom's flashback, Whole Cake Chateau exploding and the Vinsmokes fighting the Charlotte family, the initial escape to the sea, Pedro's sacrifice, and then the entirety of the Katakuri fight and Big Mom's pursuit, that's 40 chapters, and if Toei's anything they're predictable, meaning we can expect to see that translated to around 40 episodes.

Though that did cause it to dawn on me, the Katakuri fight started 5 months ago. These fuckers have spent nearly half a year duking it out.

Shiyet.

Thanks for participating in the Faces of Evil / Wand of Gamelon dub! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

dirtpants

They've got so many One Piece episodes they can even start now if they wanted.

Yeah, I particularly remember someone asking the producers and staff in a Toei QnA for more cover stories, they responded by saying it was really unlikely to do more than they have already. Not sure why they wouldn't, maybe that means they need to consult more with Oda in order to do that? Direct Collaborations with him are probably not cheap maybe? Just spit balling.

I guess they do have quite a bit to catch up on, considering we got 40 episodes to completely get caught up huh? I guess IF they reeaaaally wanted a filler arc in the middle of this, they can pull an Enies Lobby with more feudal era Luffy fillers pfft.

Yeah man, it's been quite a while, I remember the anime barely entering the Whole Cake Island, because I visited Toei's booth at AX2017 ad it was nothing but WCI promo art. It's almost surreal that I have tickets for this years as well and we're still in the same arc. holy fug..... to go back even further I've been watching/reading one piece since 2001.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 253 days before it was shut down 3 years later, and it's still the best avatar ever. The Halloween one was always amazing, too. Thanks!

Cantfly
Spoiler

And there goes the fight. It’s definitely one of the most dedicated ones we’ve gotten in the series, though I’d say it ended up feeling more like a competitive spar than it did a really vengeful fight where the opponent was completely irredeemable and needed to get his face kicked in. Katakuri was ultimately a top-class lackey mainly trying to do his job, in a similar vein to Lucci, though in Katakuri’s case he’s a lot less bloodthirsty and wasn’t obsessed with exploiting his duties for the sake of getting violent like Lucci was.

Overall it’s good that Luffy had this experience, he’ll definitely come out of this stronger, and it’ll come into a lot of handy come Wano when he’ll inevitably confront Kaido face to face. And regarding Kaido, I still say that his defeat will be similar to Oars in that it’ll be a tag-team effort, only with the Supernovas instead of the Straw Hats. Maybe throw in Moria and we could have a Nightmare Luffy version of Gear 4, I’d love to see that and it would be a reasonable powerup to give Luffy more of an edge.

I’m glad that Oda didn’t forget about Pekoms. After the stuff we found out about him throughout Zou up until now it wouldn’t have been right to just leave the arc without having him getting involved again. 

Kind of curious what Pudding is going to end up doing. Could be something similar to the mass memory manipulation that she ended up doing a few chapters ago to confuse those homies, it would cause a decent enough of a stir in the heat of the moment.

All we need to do now is give Big Mom the cake and see where the hell the Germa are. With Luffy’s fight all wrapped up, if we don’t end up seeing them by next chapter I’ll be surprised, they wouldn’t have been built up to make a return if they’d end up just doing nothing for the rest of the arc. I don’t expect anything major, but as long as we get something, preferably with Judge now that he doesn’t have his helmet on anymore. Wrap up is bound to happen soon, we'll probably get the big payoff of the arc on the Chapter 900 milestone, maybe finally swear Jinbe in officially as a Straw Hat or get some bombshell revealed about where the Big Mom Pirates will go from here in the story.

Metroid: Samus Returns 100% For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For being part of the Recommended Poops of December 2016 For getting 90 5-star ratings Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Thanks for the donation! For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards to kick some tail Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos User with Funniest Signatures 2014, 
Best Writer 2014
User with Funniest Signatures 2015 November 2013 - "drake bell power slide" (Overall, Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013
User with Funniest Avatars - 2015
Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks YOUTUBE'S NOT ATHLETIC December 2011 - Regular, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/mediareviews/bad-teacher-review-r384 You've had that down there for quite a while now, haven't you?<br />
<br />
Spreading Lago Love

The Pope

Man, I wish Pudding didn't have to go, but knowing Oda, cooties bad. Even if a "relationship" is played as a gag, no love allowed at all. That's one thing I can't stand from Oda as a writer.

It took me a while to notice that Luffy was wearing a black hat over his straw hat for some reason, but it was a nice touch for him to put that over Katakuri's mouth so whoever found him wouldn't see it. Whatever can be said about their fight, it's clear that by the end of it Luffy and Katakuri not only respect the hell out of each other, but might even like each other and would be friends in other circumstances. Like, crackpot theory, it'd be really cool if sometime down the line Katakuri decided his mom wasn't worth following and ended up working for Luffy. It's a long shot, but it'd be something cool to see.

Thanks for participating in the Faces of Evil / Wand of Gamelon dub! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

SushieBoy

The slick black fedora was part of his wedding outfit. I'm gonna miss it, but just watch, Kata is going to be wearing it in his next appearance. I mentioned a while back that one of my favorite details of the fight is that Katakuri was an antagonist out of circumstance, both were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Thanks for your contribution(s) to the YouChew zine! Mega Man classic series complete Mega Man, Mega Man 2, and Mega Man 3 complete Metroid: Samus Returns complete Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

The Pope

A few tidbits from the new SBS:

The Worst Generation's country of origin/job if they existed in the real world:

Marshall D. Teach: Somalia, Archeologist
Eustass "Captain" Kidd: Scotland, Weapons Merchant
Killer: Pasta Shop
Trafalgar Law: Germany, Doctor
Capone "Gang" Bege: Italy, Shoe Shop
Scratchman Apoo: China, DJ
Basil Hawkins: Egypt, Interior Designer
X Drake: Turkey, Zoo Keeper
Jewelry Bonney: Australia, Pizza Shop
Urouge: India, Cabaret Club Manager

Oda mentions he might mention in the story how Katakuri's mouth split (he wasn't born with it). Doflamingo's in Level 6 of Impel Down.

Cantfly
Spoiler

I jokingly mentioned a few days ago that Pekoms would go Sulong and it looks like that ended up happening anyway, lol. Kind of wish we got a better view of it, but it’s not like he would’ve been able to do a whole lot anyway with being so outnumbered.

And there we go, Germa are finally there. No Judge though, I guess he’s commandeering the ships right now. I’m curious what their resolve is though. It’s possible that Judge’s order to help them escape is still in effect, because otherwise I don’t see why they’d care after they escaped when the chateau fell. Either way we need to see Judge’s full face, it’s been teased to us for a while now and if we don’t see it now then we’ll probably never get it.

And regarding the cover story, that giant Stansen is the same one we saw be freed by Rayleigh and the Straw Hats back in the auction house on Sabaody. It’s cool to see him again and find out that he’ll live up to his word of helping the Straw Hats out by being a part of Hajrudin’s crew. Considering the trend, this cover story is probably just going to show off who all the members of the crew are, since there are only five of them at the moment. Hopefully this means we’ll end up seeing other familiar giants from the past show up, or some of the ones named offscreen in Big Mom’s flashback. Maybe he managed to recruit Oimo and Kashi after they left Enies Lobby.

Metroid: Samus Returns 100% For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For being part of the Recommended Poops of December 2016 For getting 90 5-star ratings Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Thanks for the donation! For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards to kick some tail Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos User with Funniest Signatures 2014, 
Best Writer 2014
User with Funniest Signatures 2015 November 2013 - "drake bell power slide" (Overall, Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013
User with Funniest Avatars - 2015
Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks YOUTUBE'S NOT ATHLETIC December 2011 - Regular, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/mediareviews/bad-teacher-review-r384 You've had that down there for quite a while now, haven't you?<br />
<br />
Spreading Lago Love

a25luxray
Spoiler

The katakuri fight was cool, but man am I getting fed up with this slooooooow pacing. I feel like i know already whats going to happen, im just waaaaaiittttinnng for this to be over and the story to finally move on.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For staying strike free for 3 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

The Pope

To be fair, it's kinda always been like that when reading chapter by chapter. Once you go back and binge read it, the pacing feels much tighter.

a25luxray

Your right, but even so the first part of WCI and Zou felt really tight even if read chapter by chapter. I think that i'm just fed up with the fact that ever since punk hazard the tone of the plot has been "Ok we gotta do XYZ and THEN shit goes down in wano" like good god I'm just ready to get the fuck to kaido already but nope gotta watch ships go from point A to point B for at least 10 chapters.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For staying strike free for 3 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

The Pope
5 hours ago, a25luxray said:

the first part of WCI felt really tight even if read chapter by chapter

:o

Let's play a fun drinking game, it's called "take a shot for every chapter they're stuck in the seducing woods". Spoilers, you'll get super wasted super fast.

5 hours ago, a25luxray said:

I think that i'm just fed up with the fact that ever since punk hazard the tone of the plot has been "Ok we gotta do XYZ and THEN shit goes down in wano" like good god I'm just ready to get the fuck to kaido already but nope gotta watch ships go from point A to point B for at least 10 chapters.

I mean, wasn't the Whitebeard War sort of that way? Like, as soon as it was revealed Ace was to be executed, it was basically just killing time as characters made their way to Marineford. Besides, while Whole Cake Island's general conceit has mainly been "get Sanji and get the fuck out", at Dressrosa there was a lot more going on and a lot more to get invested in. Not to say there's nothing to get invested in for WCI (the Katakuri fight, doy), but at Dressrosa they were remaining there with purpose, whereas half of HCI is them desperately trying to get out of there.

And if Wano's gonna be as big as Oda's promising (Kaido, possibly Moria returning, samurai shit, poneglyphs, multiple supernova, etc.), it's gonna be worth the weight.

a25luxray

I guess its just because that personally WCI is just generally more interesting to me than Dressrosa, but yeah WC can be a huge drag at moments compared to a lot of earlier arcs. Honestly though there is just no need for these newer arcs to be So. Damn. Looooooooooonnnngggg. I mean good god were creeping up to 80 chapters on WC when this is SUPPOSED to be the "get in, get out" arc. Something is telling me though that Oda has something up his sleeve regarding Big Mom because theres no way that he'd just spend a good 80 chapter chunk on the Big Mom pirates just so that we can go BACK to WCI later in the story to take out BM.

As for whitebeard war, honestly I think that impel down was one of the coolest arcs and I feel like it managed to get a whole lot more shown and done with the bonus of being way more exciting than WC in less chapters. Right now i'm re-reading the entire saga and I'm on Alabasta currently so eventually I'll see if it holds up.

SushieBoy

As they're both now, I definitely like WCI way more than Dressrosa. Dressrosa has it's awesome moments, but I feel like the setup had more promise and expectations. The first few chapters focuses on Rebecca and makes her out to be a great contender in the Coliseum, for a moment you could believe she will get the Devil Fruit, then  the unexpected comeback reunion happens and Viola turns out to be good, so Rebecca is relegated to crying bystander. She doesn't have any cool moments for herself outside the Coliseum, if it was gonna be like that, you could've had Rebecca and Viola be the same character, as in their traits all in one person. I get the whole Kyros didn't want her to fight thing, but that wasn't his choice when he's a toy, she WANTED to be the one. The Dwarves are also a bit annoying. Luffy making it to Doffy the first time only to be tossed out immediately and having to run back was also pretty frustrating to read as it was coming out, about as bad as the Forest in WCI. It also suffers from some shit cliffhangers (who actually believed LAW WAS DEAD and it happened offscreen).

WCI is kind of the inverse of Dressrosa, where I didn't have massive expectations for a big arc/confrontation judging from their objective going in, but shit hit the fan pretty quick and we ended up getting another full blown battle. It definitely started out weak in the forest, and Cracker isn't one of the best fights. Oda tried to capture the same emotion in Luffy VS Sanji as he did with Usopp and Robin in Water 7, but it was redundant. WCI gets REALLY good during the wedding, there's a bit of a dip in the chase to the coast, but I've really enjoyed most of everything after that, like my BOY Katakuri and his peak female performance little sister Flampe. My favorite thing by far of this arc is the dynamics in the Big Mom Pirates, they have a consistent theme and unique hierarchy/relationships, I absolutely adore the idea of holding favorite sibling contests within families of dozens of people. I really like the Donquixote Family, but they are a bit fragmented and some straight up exist in a vacuum like Machvise, I do like their designs but they're also all over the place.

I do agree though that something major HAS to happen to Big Mom herself before we leave. They've messed up all her plans, beaten several big dogs, the infrastructure of Tottoland and WCI has been wrecked and they will be humiliated once word gets out, but there has to be some damage done to Big Mom. Do I expect her to be beaten? Hell no, it would be an amazing push in the story, but it feels too soon because of the circumstances going into the arc, but it's also been 80 chapters, there has to be a major effect.

Thanks for your contribution(s) to the YouChew zine! Mega Man classic series complete Mega Man, Mega Man 2, and Mega Man 3 complete Metroid: Samus Returns complete Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

The Pope

I think the main problem with Luffy vs Sanji is that, unlike Luffy vs Usopp, it's 100% manufactured. With the Usopp fight, that shit was real, it was raw, and it was the result of mounting tensions. Sanji was basically pretending to hate Luffy so he'd go away; it was a Robin situation, except the big emotional payoff of Robin wasn't her saying "go away guys" but rather her saying she wants to live. And you can say Sanji had a similar moment with him crying, but it simply didn't have anywhere near the impact.

I can't refute any of those complaints against Dressrosa, but at the same time Kyros is probably the single best supporting character introduced post-timeskip (his backstory still savages me, not because of all the shit he lost but because Rebecca blames him for his mother's death which is double-gut punching, and the whole "I'll always be by your side thing"). It has some of the best non-Luffy fights in the series; Zoro vs Pica's just alright, but Usopp's Sugar finisher is legendary, as are most of the executive takedowns, specifically Bari Bari no Pistol. The Luffy/Bellamy stuff is fantastic, and while stuff has ramped up at Whole Cake Island, the amount of escalation that happened at Dressrosa is hard to beat, going from being just about fighting Doflamingo, to roping in Burgess (and the Blackbeard Pirates by extension), and then the Revolutionaries (hi Sabo), and CP-0 (who yes haven't done much yet but I'm excited to see what Oda does with them though I hope it's just not CP9 2: CP Harder), and then you've got an Admiral involved, and then the formation of the goddamn grand fleet. It's got padding, sure, but it's long mostly because a whole lot of important shit happens.

But yeah, I doubt we're ever coming back to Whole Cake Island; either Big Mom will cautiously team up to take out Kaido to solidify her power, or she'll somehow end up beaten by someone other than Luffy. Katakuri asked if Luffy would come back, but...I really, really doubt it.

SushieBoy

Definitely agree on the Sanji stuff, and yeah there's a lot to love about Dressrosa. The Executive beatdowns were awesome, and of course the payoff in the form of Grand Fleet was huge. I honestly thought it was gonna be the Grand Fleet appearing in the latest chapter before it was shown to be Germa, lol.

And maybe Luffy won't go back to WCI, but he will beat Big Mom. He said he would take them all out, maybe not this arc, maybe not the next, but eventually.

Kapten
Spoiler

I come back to the anime after a month to discover Luffy colluding with the mafia

For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years August 2012 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Five of them videos uploaded.

The Pope

You say "a month" like it's a long period of time, but in One Piece anime time like 3 things have probably happened in that span of time.

Kapten

You're right, like 3/4 of the episodes I binged on last night were just a continuation of the previous ordeal lol. I only got to the new thing at that last episode.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years August 2012 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Five of them videos uploaded.

The Pope
Spoiler

So the fact that Pekoms can only be calmed down by Pedro is totally 100% foreshadowing that Pedro's gonna show up alive to calm him down, right? Oda doesn't randomly sprinkle in details like that unless they're significant.

I'm okay with Pedro staying dead, but the way it played out, we didn't see the body, and in Odaland that means there's a 99.999% percent chance he's just napping.

a25luxray
Spoiler

If he survived whats probably gonna happen is that he'll show up and do something to save everyone, and then run out of lifespan and die later dramatically when things cool down after they escape.

Heres some ramblings on Dressrosa, rereading what I wrote gave me a huge headache (writing is not my greatest skill) so forgive me if it makes you wanna stab forks through your eyes. I of course don't think negative on people who like Dressrosa, this is just why I personally dislike it.

Spoiler

I think the primary reason why Dressrosa really leaves a bad taste in my mouth is the lack of focus on what makes One Piece great. In contrast to the best arcs, Arlong and Water7/Enies, Dressrosa has a sheer lack of rich, raw, real character moments with the Strawhats and their interactions together. The Straw hats in Dressrosa takes a backseat (quite literally in the case of Sanji, Nami, Chopper, and Brook) to instead focus on all the side characters of the story, which would be fine except for the fact that A) The story is yet another "Kick a big bad oppressive ruler guy's ass" and B) The entire point of the story is JUST to get it over with to move on to a much more hyped and idealistic one. Like, imagine if instead of being short and sweet Drum Island was extended to being 100 chapters, I think people would have been like "Ok when the fuck are we getting to Alabasta!?" I guess this is super subjective but I just didn't... care about any of the side characters in Dressrosa. Doflamingo's crew felt really random and had no cohesion, I get they were supposed to be a rag-tag group but it didnt even seem like that either; all the characters just had no themeing except for the officers playing card theme (But even then the card suites were just slapped onto their designs) and the rest of the crew's designs were also not very good looking except for some like Diamante and Dellinger. The Gladiators were just boring. Boring designs, no memorable personalities, boring abilities, the only gem was Barto of course, who's just simply genius. I actually think that Rosinante was one of the most interesting characters with his dynamic with both Law, Doflamingo, and Sengoku, I feel like that backstory segment was one of the stronger parts of Dressrosa's story but I mean if your going to spend THAT much time on backstory it should probably be best reserved for a crewmember at the sake of the pacing of the story. I mean look at Katakuri, he has such a strong character for a villian who we only have like ONE panel of backstory for. The setting is also a big problem with me, almost every arc in one piece has a badass setting EXCEPT for this one. Alabasta? Ancient egypt/Desert. Skypeai? Flying fucking cloud city. Zou? Big fucking elephant. Dressrosa? Um....it's made out of stone... and it has toys.. ? with a colosseum? Yea i don't fucking know. This is also really subjective and probably not even true but I don't really like the direction they took Doflamingo's character. Before the timeskip he seemed a lot more like a rougeish anarchist that didn't follow anyones orders and who had a mysterious agenda. Here, he's just another evil tyrant and also Kaido's bitch (which also is a reason why im just Get to fucking wano. during Dressrosa). I also really don't like Law. At all, he just seems like Generic Anime Serious Dude #12987312, imagine if you took Zoro and striped away all his charm and character away and was just SuperPowerful StoneFace McAnimeMan 24/7.

Now I understand that a lot of these issues can be said about Alabasta as well with the story and the villians, but I'd disagree definitely to the EXTENT of the issues, such as the villians. While yes, as a UNIT they are similar to Mingo's crew's issue of not having cohesion but I would stress that the unit pairs (i.e. Mr. 1 and Ms Butterfingers devil fruits) have a themeing to them along with their designs being relatively simple and more grounded, but still looking visually interesting and unique. While yes, the story is yet again another "Evil tyrant taking over country", it's supplemented with the really strong, Strawhat-character driven 1v1 fight scenes that don't stretch on for too long and aren't for the love of FUCKING GOD cut away from each other every FIVE GODDAMN PANELS. I think it's overlooked but a critical component for the story to maintain these strong 1v1 strawhat fights to exist. It's one of the many ways we see these characters grow and change, which makes complete sense considering were following these characters for like 900 god damn chapters. The colosseum guys? Man I don't give a flying fuck if they win or lose a fight during 1v1. This doesn't mean you can't of course not have fights without Strawhats, you just cant FORCE the Strawhats into the bleachers in favor of some fucking boring side characters I don't give a shit about.

I think that the general takeaway is that bigger, isn't always better. MORE characters and MORE chapters and MORE MORE MORE isn't gonna help at all when you pay no attention to the subjugation of the characters I've been following around and been growing attached too. You might argue that Whitebeard War suffers the same fate, but whats the central conflict of the story? Luffy's brother is being executed, and Luffy has to stop it. There, already tied directly to a main character, and the sheer scope of Whitebeard war necessitated the amount of time spent in it. Dressrosa's story? We gotta take out SMILE cause of Kaido and I guess Doflamingo too cause he's bad and stuff. Like what the fuck? At least Vivi (quite cleverly) was established early on to give the reader a reason to give a shit about Alabasta (also this was the first Shicibukai to be established so it was a big deal to beat Crocodile in contrast to Doflamingo who was like the third Shicibukai so at this point why give a fuck). Dressrosa's total lack of change of setting is another thing that drags it down, being in the same boring place for 100 chapters is just too fucking unbearable for my tastes while Enies has 50 in two very interesting locations (yes i guess Enies Lobby isnt that cool but theres the buster call and enies lobby has more weight in the world than dressrosa).

In conclusion, yeah Dressrosa has some cool moments like Rosinante, God Ussop, Barto, Fujitora, Senor Pink, etc. but these are all just MOMENTS, you know? They dont even come CLOSE to the tight, focused, CHARACTER driven Enies Lobby story. I mean I could just fucking nut on Enies all day but at this point this getting way too long winded already. Just please note that I don't at all think anyone should not like Dressrosa because again, it's really all subjective and I think that generally, the quality as a whole of one piece is pretty consistent just with a few really strong points, though mainly focused in the pretimeskip. Also note that I probably forgot a lot of stuff that would make me look like a huge dumbass if theyre was a lot of stuff in dressrosa that refuted my points so again I ask for forgiveness