Watermelons

One Piece

3,266 replies to this topic

The Pope

I don't think it's really fair to compare most arcs to Enies Lobby, since it's still the absolute best one. But while I love Marineford for its massive scale, outside of Ace's death, there's not too much emotion going on.

Meanwhile, Kyros's backstory makes me cry like a baby, Bellamy's character growth is fantastic, and while there are a few meh ones like Leo and Orlumbus, I really dig most of the Grand Fleet. It was also important to solidify them now since they'll become important later on. It's basically like the Supernova, with Oda planting the seeds back in Sabaody and just now in the New World expanding on them one at a time.

Also, Doflamingo definitely is not just an evil tyrant guy; if anything he's one of the darkest mirrors of Luffy we've seen, someone who defines family by those he cares about rather than biological bonds (which is a running theme through the whole series), only difference is while he's an anarchist like Luffy, he's a controlling anarchist; he wants there to be chaos, but chaos that he controls (insert Shadow the Hedgehog joke here). He revels in insanity and confusion, but only when he can sit atop it.

Opinions will be opinions, and Dressrosa has its down points, but man, where it counts, it counts.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

a25luxray

Personally my favorite moment was when Doflamingo controls Rebecca to kill Viola against her will, and then Luffy just SLAMS into the scene.

I think theres a lot of good shit in Dressrosa, I wish it was a little more... focused? I will have to reread it again to make a more...concise view on it. I do think it is good, but I think it could be better. And there is emotion, it's just simply not with characters I personally feel more attached too with the exception of Rosinante. 

For staying strike free for 5 years. For staying strike free for 3 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

The Pope

The anime did pretty good justice to that moment (even if the jiggling boobs is supremely dumb).

I dunno man, hearing the crowd going nuts for Luffy for once (and actually feeling earned, unlike Fishman Island) just feels so good.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

The Pope

That feeling when you realize we're coming on the 2 year anniversary of Whole Cake Island

ls4pf.jpg

Kapten

We haven't seen Zoro, Usopp, Robin, and Franky animated in almost a year lol

For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years August 2012 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Five of them videos uploaded.

Cantfly
Spoiler

Good chapter for the Vinsmokes. We didn’t really see them fight a lot in this arc so it’s good we got something from them before it ends. And we finally know what the hell Yonji’s ability is.

No Judge though. I really hope that this doesn’t mean we’re going to leave without seeing him one more time, because there’s stuff we still need to figure out about him, like how he got dethroned however many years ago and what he’s going to do moving forward. I don’t see him having a full change of heart or anything like that but I at least expect to see him gain some sort of new perspective on things, even if it’s small.

Metroid: Samus Returns 100% For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For being part of the Recommended Poops of December 2016 For getting 90 5-star ratings Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Thanks for the donation! For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards to kick some tail Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos User with Funniest Signatures 2014, 
Best Writer 2014
User with Funniest Signatures 2015 November 2013 - "drake bell power slide" (Overall, Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013
User with Funniest Avatars - 2015
Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks YOUTUBE'S NOT ATHLETIC December 2011 - Regular, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/mediareviews/bad-teacher-review-r384 You've had that down there for quite a while now, haven't you?<br />
<br />
Spreading Lago Love

The Pope

So ever since Dressrosa, rather than borrowing movie soundtracks (the movies have slowed down drastically in production, though I still honestly don't see the problem with borrowing from Z or Gold), they've been writing new sets of themes for each arc. For example, Doflamingo's leitmotif was written just for him, and it works a lot better than the lame theme they were going with until then.

The anime's currently at the point of Luffy meeting Bege, and Bege got his own theme written for him. It's not on YouTube yet, but it's sort of a smooth Italian-tinged accordion piece which fits him perfectly well. I dig it.

dirtpants

I loved the meet up episode with Bege in the latest episode. My brother got to watch it with me for a little while too, hes not too into One piece, but he immediately recognized Caesar's voice and laughed at the wacky things he was saying. It was great to see his reaction. I wonder if I can show him a good movie to get him interested in the story somehow..

SO MUCH SMOKING IN THAT ROOM hehe,  smol bege face doodle

OoN4w1j.jpg

on a different topic, What do you gents think about the "One Pace" edits?

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 253 days before it was shut down 3 years later, and it's still the best avatar ever. The Halloween one was always amazing, too. Thanks!

Cantfly
Spoiler

Loved the ending. For a brief moment I forgot about the Sun Pirates so having them pop up was cool.

In any other situation I’d be saying that next chapter is called “The Ninth”, but I’m 95% sure that the focus of next chapter is going to be Big Mom’s reaction to the cake, so it’s probably going to be titled something related to that. Either way, if none of the other evidence throughout this arc was enough to make people think Jinbe is joining for real then the dialogue at the very end should cement it. Can’t wait for my boy to round the crew out to 10. It’s been over a decade since we nabbed Brook so it’s great for this to be happening.

We did get Judge in this chapter, but his head was bandaged up so no eyebrows. Oh well. I liked Luffy completely defanging his insults by thanking him and saying goodbye. I still don't think we're done with him though. He's probably going to hear about how the cake Sanji made effectively saved their asses and can pretty much contradict everything he thought about Sanji for years. 

It sucks that Bege’s ship got destroyed since it was one of my favorites. But this opens up the opportunity of him hitching a ride with the Straw Hats to Wano, so even more Supernovas could be tangoing with Kaido in the future. Only ones that we don’t know about at the moment are Bonney and Urouge.

Metroid: Samus Returns 100% For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For being part of the Recommended Poops of December 2016 For getting 90 5-star ratings Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Thanks for the donation! For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards to kick some tail Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos User with Funniest Signatures 2014, 
Best Writer 2014
User with Funniest Signatures 2015 November 2013 - "drake bell power slide" (Overall, Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013
Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks YOUTUBE'S NOT ATHLETIC December 2011 - Regular, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/mediareviews/bad-teacher-review-r384 You've had that down there for quite a while now, haven't you?<br />
<br />
Spreading Lago Love

The Pope

I would've liked Luffy responding to Judge for real, but eh, what can you do.

SushieBoy

Toei should be kicking themselves over not adapting the cover stories, anime-onlies are gonna be confused with Wadatsumi :^)

I've seen some speculation lately that with the BMP in their current state it's the perfect opportunity for another faction like the Marines or Blackbeard to swoop in and completely defeat them for good, which would be an amazing turn of events. But I honestly can't see Oda committing to that, though. I really want something major to happen after spending so much time here but it almost feels like Oda will just return to a status quo more or less, and that's no good. Citizens are distraught after being totally cooperative with the terms of living in their territory and even Amande looked discontent with shit in one panel this chapter, something needs to go down. Gimme a mutiny against Big Mom, gimme Stussy summoning the Marines, gimme surprise Blackbeard, gimme SOMETHING because this arc is starting to dip again.

Mega Man, Mega Man 2, and Mega Man 3 complete Metroid: Samus Returns complete Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

The Pope

Technically Wadatsumi showed up earlier when Jinbe first made his appearance as the two delivered the Poneglyph to Big Mom. But yeah, I'm sure some people were confused by that.

The Pope
Spoiler

Man, Big Mom had a lot of funny reactions this chapter.

My guess is that they somehow managed to sink underwater? That or pop Coup de Burst during the chaos. Either way, I definitely didn't expect things to suddenly turn south this swiftly after last chapter seemed like "okay it's over time to go".

No chapter next week, and on such a cliffhanger too. Oda, you cocktease.

Cantfly

Well that was quite the milestone chapter.

Spoiler

For a bit during the chapter I thought that the taste of this cake was going to unblock her memories of what exactly occurred during her 6th birthday all those years ago, but this is a whole other thing entirely. It’s crazy how quick the Big Mom Pirates were able to turn the tables on them, and having it go along with Big Mom’s crazy villain song made it even more impactful.

I can’t say with 100% certainty what I think is going to happen next. For all we know this could all be an illusion brought on by Big Mom’s crazy musical number, but we cut to so many things happening that I question how that could even go down.  The only thing I’m wondering now is, if this is real, what’s going to happen to the Sunny. Franky would throw a fit if he found out his dream ended up perishing at sea without him being there, so there has to be some way that the Sunny makes it out of this in a state where it can at the very least be repaired back to working condition. Maybe all the damage it took could usher in an upgrade to the Sunny’s layout if it ends up getting repaired.

Either way, we’ll find out two weeks from now. Ultimately, I think we’re going to see at least one more big memory manipulating scene with Pudding, whether it’s occurring right now with Big Mom or if it’ll happen coming up when all the Straw Hats, Germa, Sun Pirates, etc are put on trial for all the shit they pulled.

Best Writer 2014
<br />
Spreading Lago Love

The Pope

Actually, now that I think about it, there's like a 90% chance this massacre is a memory Pudding is planting in their heads so they feel satisfied and don't keep trying to chase the Straw Hats down. I never thought of that.

That would easily make the most sense, and that's what I'm rolling with for the time being.

a25luxray
Spoiler

This was a really fucking good chapter, I loved how the action really flowed together and didnt feel padded out like the last couple of chapters, and there wasnt a lot of third party-bystander expository dialogue to disrupt it. I don't think this was all a memory manipulation, I think that would be too much of a cop out. Maybe next chapter Big Mom is knocked out by the flavor of the cake and the effects of her devil fruit are reversed similar to sugar? This is the first time in a while the story hasn't been predictable to forsee.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For staying strike free for 3 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

dirtpants
On 3/23/2018 at 11:21 PM, SushieBoy said:

Toei should be kicking themselves over not adapting the cover stories, anime-onlies are gonna be confused with Wadatsumi :^)

I've seen some speculation lately that with the BMP in their current state it's the perfect opportunity for another faction like the Marines or Blackbeard to swoop in and completely defeat them for good, which would be an amazing turn of events. But I honestly can't see Oda committing to that, though. I really want something major to happen after spending so much time here but it almost feels like Oda will just return to a status quo more or less, and that's no good. Citizens are distraught after being totally cooperative with the terms of living in their territory and even Amande looked discontent with shit in one panel this chapter, something needs to go down. Gimme a mutiny against Big Mom, gimme Stussy summoning the Marines, gimme surprise Blackbeard, gimme SOMETHING because this arc is starting to dip again.

Speaking of cover stories I don't think the anime ever explained why Jango was suddenly a marine did they? but I would absolutely love to see more cover stories.

as for the new chapter

Spoiler

Definitely think this could be puddings tamperings with her memory powers. I wonder if she could've infused something in the cake that only effects big moms memory. either that being that long without actually eating made big mom just go into a huge trip because she got something in her belly.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 253 days before it was shut down 3 years later, and it's still the best avatar ever. The Halloween one was always amazing, too. Thanks!

The Pope

I was thinking of how they handled the first two cover story arcs (which felt a little fillery), and then I looked back at the cover story arcs themselves, and a thought occurred to me:

Why not just do them silently?

Have them practically play out like a montage, with appropriate music to score with. Saves having to call in the voice cast, so you can do it on the super cheap. Plus it'd be artistically cool and faithful to the manga.

Nothing stopping them even now from going back and doing old story arcs like Wapol, Baroque Works, etc. in that fashion.

SushieBoy
9 hours ago, dirtpants said:

Speaking of cover stories I don't think the anime ever explained why Jango was suddenly a marine did they? but I would absolutely love to see more cover stories.

as for the new chapter

Hide contents

Definitely think this could be puddings tamperings with her memory powers. I wonder if she could've infused something in the cake that only effects big moms memory. either that being that long without actually eating made big mom just go into a huge trip because she got something in her belly.

I'm not sure if they ever showed Jango and Fullbody's story, yeah, instead of planning and adapting all the material they possibly can they choose to pad out what they immediately have.

9 hours ago, The Pope said:

I was thinking of how they handled the first two cover story arcs (which felt a little fillery), and then I looked back at the cover story arcs themselves, and a thought occurred to me:

Why not just do them silently?

Have them practically play out like a montage, with appropriate music to score with. Saves having to call in the voice cast, so you can do it on the super cheap. Plus it'd be artistically cool and faithful to the manga.

Nothing stopping them even now from going back and doing old story arcs like Wapol, Baroque Works, etc. in that fashion.

Honestly they're so set in their ways now I can't see them ever going back to do the irrelevant cover stories, maybe one day they'll start to adapt the most recent ones but the anime is so fucked. The one change I'd really like to see in the presentation/formatting is cut the OPs back to 1:30 and getting the EDs back. The pacing on the new OPs are so janky, literally no one else does 2 minute long OPs for a reason, they drag on way too much.

But hey, they brought back the old personalized eyecatches after so long, so who knows!!

Mega Man, Mega Man 2, and Mega Man 3 complete Metroid: Samus Returns complete Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

The Pope

Honest'y I'm okay with the long OPs; by now I've gotten used to it.

Also seeing how they've done those "Episode of" recaps, that makes me think they'd maybe go back and do cover stories. I mean, shit, I'd much rather they take a week to do that rather than pad out the anime even further in order to buy time to not catch up to Oda.