• Announcements

• Dopply

YouChew's the Best of the Year 2016   02/08/2017

Hello everyone, it's time for our annual media-based award ceremony. Click here to cast your nominees for your best-of-the-year picks!  
BlackNight645

General Computer Discussion Thread

2,579 posts in this topic

VLC is the one everybody recommends, but I personally like DAUM PotPlayer a whole lot more. It's a Korean video player with a built-in dark theme and you can just find an English version of it. It plays everything I've ever thrown at it and then some.

For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. For writing 13641 words worth in blog entries. 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For the category of Most Likely To Rule The World.
2013 For the category of Most Helpful Member.
2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos Been here since the turn of 07. For having lost not one, but two accounts. Giving myself a PRRRROMOTION For servicing us. Heh. Thanks for the donation! The forum appreciates your good behavior. For Lucky Lottery.

Any Opera users here? It has come to my attention that Google Chrome is a battery draining, memory hogging fuck on MacBook Pros - more so than any other web browser that I've used- so I'm trying out Opera for the week to see if I notice any difference. From what I've read Opera uses a similar infrastructure to Chrome but is nowhere near as memory heavy and has some neat features of its own such as a built in ad blocker and an HTML5 pop up video button that works on almost any video hosting site (and it can be used to watch videos even if you have another window open to boot).

Over the past several months I've noticed that sometimes my laptop will refuse to wake up from sleep mode if I close it or leave it unattended for a period of time, and I think the amount of memory being used before it enters that mode might have something to do with it. At first I thought it was strictly my Adobe Creative Cloud products but I've noticed that it has also happened when I've left Chrome open in the background, especially with like 5 or 6 unattended tabs. There might be more at work here that I'm unaware of, but for now I'm trying this to see if it helps.

If this falls through, I'll just have to tough it out until I get a brand new laptop, and that ain't happening any time soon!

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

1 minute ago, Deaniac said:

Any Opera users here? It has come to my attention that Google Chrome is a battery draining, memory hogging fuck on MacBook Pros - more so than any other web browser that I've used- so I'm trying out Opera for the week to see if I notice any difference. From what I've read Opera uses a similar infrastructure to Chrome but is nowhere near as memory heavy and has some neat features of its own such as a built in ad blocker and an HTML5 pop up video button that works on almost any video hosting site.

Over the past several months I've noticed that sometimes my laptop will refuse to wake up from sleep mode if I close it or leave it unattended for a period of time, and I think the amount of memory being used before it enters that mode might have something to do with it. At first I thought it was strictly my Adobe Creative Cloud products but I've noticed that it has also happened when I've left Chrome open in the background, especially with like 5 or 6 unattended tabs. There might be more at work here that I'm unaware of, but for now I'm trying this to see if it helps.

If this falls through, I'll just have to tough it out until I get a brand new laptop, and that ain't happening any time soon!

If you like the interface of Chrome and want a little more from what it offers, have you considered using Vivaldi? It's a Chrome-based browser, but it really doesn't look like one. Being Chrome-based means it can use Chrome extensions no problems, and it was originally created by a former employee or higher-up at Opera who didn't like the direction Opera was going in, feeling that Opera was getting too big and had too many extra features stacked on top.

It's available on both Windows and OS X. I've used it on my Macbook Pro with generally few problems before, although I eventually went back to Firefox because I missed it.

In addition, do you have a lot of Chrome extensions enabled? I imagine having a whole lot of them isn't going to do your battery or memory/CPU usage any favors.

For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. For writing 13641 words worth in blog entries. 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For the category of Most Likely To Rule The World.
2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos Been here since the turn of 07. For having lost not one, but two accounts. Giving myself a PRRRROMOTION For servicing us. Heh. Thanks for the donation! The forum appreciates your good behavior. For Lucky Lottery.

I've never heard of Vivaldi before, but I'll look into it.

The only third party Chrome extension I have installed is AdBlock, but that couldn't possibly be brining the rest of my computer down, could it?

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

My computer just had the most unexpected death i've ever had happen to a PC. It was doing perfectly fine yesterday and then BAM, the hard drive apparently failed.

For getting 20 awards IMMA SUGAR DADDY HEART ON STICK MUST DIE For collecting all the bronze cards EYELASHES! For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 donation_award_notes For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest "Spare change? Spare change, ma'am?" For reaching this poop milestone. Submitting 100 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos September 2014 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years drugamin, MrTomato26, and ComputerGuy6545 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 7 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

10 minutes ago, Deaniac said:

I've never heard of Vivaldi before, but I'll look into it.

The only third party Chrome extension I have installed is AdBlock, but that couldn't possibly be brining the rest of my computer down, could it?

I would recommend using uBlock Origin in place of AdBlock Plus or any similar extensions at this time. uBlock saw a surge in popularity because it's an adblocker that's designed to try and use less memory and resources than AdBlock Plus. Also, it helps to use less filters and lists whenever possible. Just try to find more comprehensive ones instead of having every possible filter enabled, as having more enabled filters will slow the extension down.

Although if it's the only extension you're using, it could be something else. Still, I think uBlock would help at least a little.

Are some of the sites taking up a lot of your browser's resources? I don't know for sure, but I imagine having online/portable Microsoft Office or other big things like that could bloat your browser when they're open. Even some sites running applications or scripts in general could take a lot of resources. Just the other day I was trying to make one of those top 50 album graphic things on a site that generated them, and my MacBook Pro's fans started to spin so loudly. Once I had closed the site, they gradually slowed down again.

I still have my physical copy of Microsoft Office 2011 so that's a non-issue.

As for websites, I guess the only ones I use the most are social media (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr), YouTube, and of course YouChew. Sometimes I like playing loading a lot of videos in multiple tabs if I'm catching up on my shows or watching subscribed videos on YouTube. On the program side, I use memory heavy stuff like Premiere, After Effects, and Illustrator often for work and other freelance projects. I know Adobe Creative Cloud requires an internet connection to download and update programs from the desktop, but I rarely ever use that updater program by itself. It could be my laptop showing its age, as I've held onto it for the past five and a half years - though I upgraded both the memory and the hard drive back in October, and even before that I was running into the sleep mode issue I ran into earlier. The hardware made no difference, so it's definitely a software thing. I've rebooted OSX so many times now that I know it's not the issue either.

Needless to say, it's pretty frustrating and I just want my machine to work properly. If my job and skill set weren't so reliant on the damn thing, this would probably just be a minor inconvenience, but that's simply not the case.

So I'm having a problem... my computer keeps telling me I need to activate Windows 10, or change my product key. I only have the product key that I registered with, but it says to enter a different one. It says that I have to activate it by tomorrow. I don't know what the fuck to do lol

For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

Welp! It turns out using Opera didn't help, either. Still encountered the same sleep mode issue. The best part is that Opera doesn't even restore the last session if your system has crashed or if the program has force quitted. Nice.

I might try Vivaldi out as a last resort since Sigma recommended it, otherwise I might just stick with Google Chrome and tough it out until I can replace my dang computer. Fortunately, my solid state drive helps my laptop boot up in a matter of seconds after a crash, but even so this whole ordeal is still irritating as hell. Feh.

I'm looking at the Task Manager in Chrome and it looks like AdBlock does use up more memory than the browser itself. Hmm.

Wait , wait , wait.You say Vivaldi? You mean this?

Well it's really really good.I like it.Also like how the Vivaldi build harmony.Sweet

*cough*

23 hours ago, Ashleii said:

My computer just had the most unexpected death i've ever had happen to a PC. It was doing perfectly fine yesterday and then BAM, the hard drive apparently failed.

Totally death or anything showed up on your PC?

Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

On my MacBook, I switched back from Firefox to Chromium. I didn't expect this to happen, as I still had the mindset that Firefox was less intensive on resources than Chrome, but I decided to go back when I noticed my battery life was dropping faster on Firefox. I'm using Chromium again right now and my battery isn't taking as drastic of a hit, so that's a good thing, I guess.

There's something I like more about using Chromium over Chrome, but I don't like that I have to manually update it on my own.

Since I'm here, I find it kind of funny that I'm using my MacBook Pro more than ever as of late. I've been using it whenever possible for my daily computing and web browsing far more often this past few weeks. It's strange because I recently upgraded the hard drive in my Windows desktop to an SSD, but I still want to sit on my cozy sofa with my MacBook on my lap.

I think my desire to want to use my MacBook more comes from the YouTubers I've been enjoying these past few weeks, like 8-Bit Guy and ItsMyNaturalColour.

I've been willing to buy a desktop drive to move all of my files, and I've found this one.

Is the 2TB version worth at least 100 Euros?

That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

I guess it depends on if you need the extra space. You can buy a decent terabyte hard drive for for around 50 euros so you can save a little cash. I only see an option for 2TB, 3TB, and higher. Are you asking if the 3TB version is worth the extra money? If so, my advice stands. However, I don't know if I fully understand so you may have to clarify. Unless the 3TB version comes with an extra expansion slot that the 2T lacks (which seems unlikely) then I'd say buy the 2T version and a separate Hard Drive to put in it.

Anyway, I'm looking to get into Ruby. I spent most of today just messing around in it, scratching my head looking at/trying to run code. It seems like I have a long way to go but is anybody familiar with or using the language? I'd love to see some code as an example or something.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Thanks for the donation. "Oh, how I hate those meenie masters! How they make my penis turn!" -Dopply circa 2010 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos

I've been watching this YouTuber named Druaga1 every so often. I don't know if he's involved with the YTP community or anything, since in one of his videos, he tests video playback by watching a YTPMV on an old computer. He usually makes videos of himself trying to install and troubleshoot something as he goes along, and it's rather entertaining most of the time.

The most recent one I saw was a video where he installed Mandrake Linux on an old computer, and he had to retry several times to get it working.

So, remember that sleep mode issue that I was talking about last week?

Well, I uninstalled Chrome entirely from my computer yesterday and used Safari, and I still ran into that same issue of my Macbook refusing to wake up.

Either some other piece of software on my computer like Adobe Creative Cloud is causing this to happen or my computer really is an old hunk of shit. Or both. I have owned this laptop for almost six years now, and an Apple Store rep told me that Macbook users typically run into issues after year five.

I just reinstalled Chrome since I now know it doesn't matter which web browser I use and I'll just tough it out until I can afford to upgrade, and considering my current job is a part time position, it's not gonna happen for a while. C'est la vie!

If I had the same issue with my MacBook Pro, I would search it up, so I did just that and found this page.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204760

Considering the age of your computer, is your system going into this "safe sleep" process? Clicking the link tells me some of the 2012 models do that. There's additional troubleshooting available on the page as well, like with reseting the SMC, or reseting the NVRAM.

Yeah, I've woken it up from safe sleep before and even then it won't wake up from whatever comatose state it's in. This happens to my Macbook even if the battery is a decent power level and is not even remotely drained whatsoever.

I feel like an Apple Store rep has walked me through the NVRAM reset process before, but I'll try that and resetting the SMC as well later.

UPDATE: I reset both the NVRAM and SMC and everything booted up fine...until everything started lagging like hell, just like when I got my replacement battery not too long ago. I took the new battery out, put the original battery back in and everything's fine again with no lag whatsoever.

Was your old battery from China or something? I have such a hard time trusting aftermarket, non-OEM batteries in most electronics these days. Some of the things they try to get away with is kind of shocking, like advertising battery cells on eBay at impossible mAh ratings. Also, I'm guessing you have one of those older plastic MacBooks that let you replace the battery easily without disassembly? I have a 2015 MacBook Pro, and I'm pretty sure I'd need to bust out my torx screwdrivers to even access the battery.

Anyway, I wanted to feel nostalgic again by running Fedora Linux on VirtualBox on my Mac. I struggled for around 2 hours trying to get guest additions installed correctly so I could actually use all the possible screen real estate. I had so many issues trying to just install the damn guest additions, but always got errors. I looked up some written guides from a year or two ago that gave me instructions, but none of them really worked, and I ultimately just wasted more time trying to reinstall the OS to try again. I found a YouTube tutorial on how to set up the latest version and followed the instructions, and it looks like some kind of "openvm" program was interfering with everything, since VirtualBox is from a competing company.

I like how Fedora operates and runs as well, but I found out the hard way that they abandoned the "yum" package management in favor of something called "dnf." I started up the OS, went into terminal, and put in "sudo yum upgrade" unaware that yum was no longer supported, and I found out only after that that I wasn't supposed to do that in the newer versions of Fedora.

I sometimes miss when I ran Linux as my daily driver for around 2 years. The distros I used the most were Ubuntu (back when it was unapologetically orange) and OpenSUSE. It was only around 2010 when I built my own gaming PC that my need to run Linux as a daily driver went away because my desktop was strong enough to actually handle Windows.

So about my Windows 10 Computer: I really like it so far, and I have it like a year now. The only thing I need to do is reinstall some games like Age of Empires II, I already got Sims 2 on my computer, but it had some minor graphic issues. The graphics keep flickering when I am in windowed mode but it showed some blue at the bottom. Luckily I fixed it by resizing the windowed mode by 720x480 and never had any issues with the blue thing, but the minor graphic issue kept coming back, but it hasn't been done much when the revolution was in 720x480 in windowed mode.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years 5 Completed Matches! *Victory Chime*  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos You participated in ten collaborations! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 36 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 20 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 239 days before it was shut down