BlackNight645

General Computer Discussion Thread

2,594 posts in this topic

I saw a pretty interesting video by Druaga1 recently where he went on an upgrade marathon with an older MacBook, where he had XP installed on it (which he does in a previous video) and then he went on an upgrade spree going from Vista all the way to 10.

Pretty interesting video that had me considering whether or not I should buy another copy of Windows just to use on my MacBook Pro via Boot Camp. It wouldn't be very useful in the long run after I had a chance to think about it, but it would be pretty damn cool to have both operating systems within reach, with Windows fully functional with all the drivers Boot Camp would provide.

For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. For writing 13641 words worth in blog entries. 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For the category of Most Likely To Rule The World.
2013 For the category of Most Helpful Member.
2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos Been here since the turn of 07. For having lost not one, but two accounts. Giving myself a PRRRROMOTION For servicing us. Heh. Thanks for the donation! The forum appreciates your good behavior. For Lucky Lottery.

On 2/26/2017 at 0:22 PM, SirSigma said:

I've been watching this YouTuber named Druaga1 every so often. I don't know if he's involved with the YTP community or anything, since in one of his videos, he tests video playback by watching a YTPMV on an old computer. He usually makes videos of himself trying to install and troubleshoot something as he goes along, and it's rather entertaining most of the time.

The most recent one I saw was a video where he installed Mandrake Linux on an old computer, and he had to retry several times to get it working.

love me some Druaga1, uwxbill, and PhilsComputerLab

I found this site, https://rubymonk.com. I have been using it for a few days and I'm only on the introductory course but I think this is a really good (and free) learning tool for the Ruby programming language.

Admittedly, sometimes the servers seem to have a weird issue where it doesn't seem to want to process your answers sometimes. Other than that, I like it a lot. It's very step by step.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Thanks for the donation. "Oh, how I hate those meenie masters! How they make my penis turn!" -Dopply circa 2010 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos

From the sound of things, the latest version of Chrome (57) is being toted as much more battery friendly by "throttling" background tabs to save energy.

I'll be putting that to the test. It's bad enough most of my Adobe programs eat up my laptop's energy like nobody's business, I don't need my web browser to help.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

So Google Drive now becomes Backup & Sync and it got problems. Does anyone having the same problem? I think it got hacked or something.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years 5 Completed Matches! *Victory Chime*  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos You participated in ten collaborations! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 36 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 20 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 239 days before it was shut down

I thought this was very neat.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Thanks for the donation. "Oh, how I hate those meenie masters! How they make my penis turn!" -Dopply circa 2010 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos

Well, due to the annoying bug which prevents me to post images on YouChew via Firefox, my browser of choice, I decided to give up on it and started using Opera for the first time in five years. It used to be my browser of choice until sometime in 2012, where it got more prone to crash at random sites. While it's nice to see it more streamlined in design, the scrolling is still noticeably choppy and it definitely takes a while to get used to. Also, it looks a bit too bright and it kind of hurts my eyes, but hey, it transfered all of my login info from Firefox to Opera, so that's nice.

In other news, me and my tech friend have talked and decided to buy a Dual GTX 1060 3GB graphics card and install it on my PC; he'll get one this friday, if possible, and mount it up next week. I was originally planning to get a GTX 1050 TI 4GB, since it's often considered the one with the best value/quality ratio, but my friend suggested me to raise my price point a little bit and I'd get an even better choice, and sure enough, Game-Debate claims there's a big difference when comparing both cards side by side. And for 50 Euros more, why not? It consumes more energy, but that's probably the only downside of it and it isn't by much. I definitely won't need to upgrade nothing else in my working station for a long, long time, after this.

Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

So I want to be able to stream content wirelessly from my PC to my TV. Getting a massive HDMI cable would be unwieldy, and all of the basic streaming apps I've found just do basic stuff like music and basic video files rather than being a 1:1 mirror.

What would be the best way to do this? Steam Link? Or is there another better device to use? Or is there a free program that can get the job done?

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

I heard about Terry Davis, he is a man with pretty good talent related to technology, he suffered a mental breakdown and decided to spent a decade making an OS to talk to God:

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/gods-lonely-programmer

What I find interesting is that the whole OS is programmed with a programming language he made.

Wads of dosh For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016, Member with Funniest Posts 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.

So my laptop shit the bed a while back after only seven months. It was a Dell and the fact that it only took seven months to die left a sour taste in my mouth. Can anyone recommend me a decent PC manufacturer? Because i'm just about done with Dell's shit.

For getting 20 awards IMMA SUGAR DADDY HEART ON STICK MUST DIE For collecting all the bronze cards EYELASHES! For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 donation_award_notes For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest "Spare change? Spare change, ma'am?" For reaching this poop milestone. Submitting 100 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos September 2014 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years drugamin, MrTomato26, and ComputerGuy6545 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 7 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

11 hours ago, Ashleii said:

So my laptop shit the bed a while back after only seven months. It was a Dell and the fact that it only took seven months to die left a sour taste in my mouth. Can anyone recommend me a decent PC manufacturer? Because i'm just about done with Dell's shit.

I really haven't had any issues with Toshiba products, if laptops are your thing. This laptop that I got in 2014 is still ready to rock.

Top 10 Videos of May 2016

On 4/7/2017 at 10:22 AM, WeepinnWillow said:

Not sure if you're still looking for new laptops at the moment, but the laptop I've been using is a Lenovo B590. It's a Windows 7 computer, which was one of the main selling points for me. Having only an Intel Core i3 processor and 4GB of ram, it's not much of a laptop for gaming, but it can handle basically everything I want to do with it, including video-editing. I've had it for three years and it's still going strong, so I can't complain about it too much. All in all, I would give some thought to trying a Lenovo.

HEART ON STICK MUST DIE I had a strizoke in my brizain. I wasn't sure how big to make the hole for the head, so I used a watermelon for size. For receiving candy during the Valentines Day event! Lucario AH NEED A MONSTUH TA CLOBBUH DAT DEH KIRBEH! Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Spirit of YouChew 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 For collecting all 30 silver cards! For collecting all 60 bronze cards! I'll have to give myself a promotion! For getting 20 awards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event Participated in the 2014 and 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For clearing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door during our community challenge event.
For participating in the MK8 online tournament. For clearing Sonic 1 during the community challenge event. Your generosity is greatly appreciated Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Most Helpful Member 2015
User with Funniest Signatures 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016 Friendliest User 2015
Friendliest User 2016
Friendliest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017 The Second Anime Collab For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos 2.b.a. master Mmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Participating in 10 collabs with NICE PEOPLE! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

It's so nice to see AMD rejoining the CPU market! It seems like it will really give Intel a kick to not be so stagnant with their updates, and it will be nice to get to switch over to a system without all the proprietary silicon and stuff!
I can't wait for more Ryzen laptops and the R3 lineup!

For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Artist 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

When is RISC coming back to the mainstream CPU market?

Wads of dosh For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016, Member with Funniest Posts 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.