• Announcements

• Whelt

Metroid Game Challenge!   09/03/2017

There's a Metroid game challenge going on now. Check it out in the Games forum!
BlackNight645

General Computer Discussion Thread

2,608 replies to this topic

NationOfOranges696   
NationOfOranges696

My Windows 10 today had an update and I can't open my Start Menu or use the Search Bar. I've restarted the computer 3 times and I did a system check for corrupted files. None of those ways have worked. I've been hearing from a couple of people that you have to reboot your PC, but I'm afraid of doing it because it would uninstall a ton of programs I have like Vegas and Steam. Is there a way to get the Start Menu working without having to risk on destroying anything?

For meeting with JokeyBRPG! For getting 20 awards EYELASHES! For staying strike free for 3 years. For being a part of the Recommended YouTube Poops article for December 2015 & January 2016.

and June 2017 For ten successful tennis matches! For five successful tennis matches! Top 10 Videos of Apr 2016 Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa For reaching this poop milestone. Submitting 100 videos to the Video System The Garfield Collab Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos For taking part in numerous collaborations Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos The Markiplier Collab The Markiplier Collab For participating in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Morimoto   
Morimoto

My laptop has a blackscreen and wont connect to external monitors.

I think its a software driver problem.

But I dont know how computer repair technicians would access the laptop software if that is the case.

For being a part of the Recommended YouTube Poops of October & November 2016 Top 10 Videos of Oct 2016_2 (Regular) / Top 10 Videos of Oct 2016_2 (YTPMV) Top 10 Videos of Oct 2016_2 Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For coming in 2nd Place in the 2016 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in the 2016 Ghostly Art Contest For staying strike free for 1 year. For completing A Link to the Past during the community challenge. Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

Sixtyforce   
Sixtyforce

f533240fef.png

WinDirStat is a great tool. It scans a drive of your choosing and shows you a visual of what's taking up all your space. So you can single out files you don't need and delete them accordingly. If you're looking to free some drive space, you should use it. It's pretty awesome. I used it to free up about 8GB worth of space from my SSD by deleting a bunch of Premiere's caching and render files from the last time I was using it. (Tho, I should've been smart enough to change the directory of where cache files are stored to my HDD, lmao). Btw, if you're wondering what those large red ones over to the right are, they're important system files. One of them is the pagefile. If you see large .dll or .sys files, dnt delete them. They're likely very important files and Windows and/or installed programs will probably not work properly afterwards. I know that some are probably gonna end up deleting something really important by accident if I don't say so.

Congrats on completing 10 matches! Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Top 10 Videos of Oct 2016 For staying strike free for 1 year. Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Congrats on 5 matches! For participating in 10 successful collabs! Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

The Pope   
The Pope

Need some help with Firefox.

The latest update completely broke the Classic Theme Restorer plugin, which is crucial for me. I found workarounds for a lot of things, but currently my stop, reload, back and forward buttons are invisible and I don't know why. Anyone possibly able to help?

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Girla PurpleHeart   
Girla PurpleHeart

So yeah, I think the Windows 10 update pretty much messed up with my Winamp's video codec; which means I can't show videos on there anymore (aka the sound is playing but the picture isn't showing), not only that but it also messed up other players except for Media Player Classic, which is weird. I tried reinstalled Winamp, but nothing happened. Researching this said problem didn't help either because most of them were from older versions of Winamp. If anyone knows how to fix this, please let me know. And before you guys ask, yes I have K-Lite Codec installed, and I think the update pretty much messed up with the codec. Hopefully the next update fixes this problem.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years 5 Completed Matches! *Victory Chime*  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos You participated in ten collaborations! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 36 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 20 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 239 days before it was shut down

Girla PurpleHeart   
Girla PurpleHeart

Sorry for the double post but just an update that my Windows 10 Update pretty much fix all of my problems, Winamp seems to play videos again and other video programs as well. Woot!

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years 5 Completed Matches! *Victory Chime*  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos You participated in ten collaborations! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 36 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 20 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 239 days before it was shut down

ZekiiLeaf   
ZekiiLeaf

I reset/rebooted my computer altogether but I kept my pictures, documents, and videos to get rid of my Wi-Fi problem. The only problem is that Windows also deleted most programs that I use such as video editors, plugins, drawing tablet drivers, etc. Is there any way to recover these?

For winning the Youtube Poop Copycat Contest 2017 edition! Submitting 25 videos to the Video System User with Most Aesthetically Pleasing Avatars 2017 Top 10 Videos of Mar 2017_2 (Regular) Eyelashes For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 Top 10 Videos of Oct 2016 Lucario For collecting all the bronze cards Submitting 5 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 1 year.

Expression   
Expression

I feel arguably due for another computer since my main driver is a 3 year old laptop with an AMD A4 in it. I mean, it works and still functions quite well, all things considered, but I think age and performance wise it is getting to a point where I'm willing to demote it to a tier 2 PC to easily lug around with me just in case I need it. I have a fair amount of money right now to bring a few budget offerings to another desktop I have, but it's a Socket 775 motherboard, and while there are CPUs still capable for it, I think they are reaching the end of their lifespan. I need something more recent.

On 9/12/2017 at 4:37 PM, ZekiiLeaf said:

I reset/rebooted my computer altogether but I kept my pictures, documents, and videos to get rid of my Wi-Fi problem. The only problem is that Windows also deleted most programs that I use such as video editors, plugins, drawing tablet drivers, etc. Is there any way to recover these?

You could try Recuva however I'm unsure if that will resolve your issue completely.

For staying strike free for 1 year. Top 10 Videos of May 2016