BlackNight645

General Computer Discussion Thread

2,616 replies to this topic

Robotic

What settings are you running TF2 on?

Max except for AA. Never tried it on anything higher than 4x though. The only graphical changes my config does is remove decals so there cant be more than one bullethole/blood stain/explosion residue effect etc. on the map at a time. I also pre-load every map. Im thinking of removing ragdolls and gibs for other reasons though.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

AGSMA

They'll have slight differences, but nothing remarkable. One of them's a stock GPU, whereas the other one's made my Gigabyte, so it'll probably have a custom cooler or overclocking or something. And yeah, the HD5770 is a pretty good card.

That's good to hear. It says that it's a bit better than Metro 2033's recommended graphic card, but my current processor is weaker than the recommended one. Damn! 4A Games takes the nVIDIA's slogan very serious. And the worst part, the game is very cheap, right now.

Edit: The good news is that I can play New Vegas, Arlham Asylum, and many other games, with the Radeon HD 5770.

For being part of the six-way tie for 2nd Place in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

Robotic

Resolution?

1920, 1080.

I can post a fraps screenshot if you'd like. I may have some shit left over from my old config that Im missing that might be improving performance.

ALSO, I just checked and motion blur is disabled.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

AGSMA

Ok. As soon my hard drive becomes full, I'm going to buy a new one and I'll insert the old one on my father's dying laptop. But here comes a problem: how do I chose the HDDs with the right size?

The only HDDs with 1TB or more of space that I found on sale are these two. And I wonder if these can fit on my laptop. For more information, my laptop's size is 430 x 90 x 320 mm.

For being part of the six-way tie for 2nd Place in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

Axe

None of those will work, laptops use 2,5" HDDs, the 3,5" ones are for desktops. I know there are some ways to connect larger HDDs to laptops via USB, but I'm not sure of their cost.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 119 days before it was shut down So cool. Strike-free for more than 3 years. Congrats! i was a janitor<br />
<br />
i think Welcome to the Few. The Proud. The Moderators. For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread!
For posting after Dopply

AGSMA

Unfortunately the only 2,5" HDD I found on sale has the same size of mine (500 GB). I'm going to the local Gamestop to ask if is there any stores that sells good laptop coumpounds.

Maq

Unfortunately, the current laptop I'm using is really quite crap. It runs on 2GB of RAM, the hard drive is 40GB (ouch), and now it constantly keeps telling me that my copy of Windows isn't genuine. I bought it at a used computer store, but now I really wish I would have just saved money for a better one instead.

I'm looking through Newegg to find something new. The minimum specs I want are 4GB RAM and a 160 GB hard drive. And anything more than that would be fantastic. I also do not want to use it to play games (except emulated ones). I'm a console person when it comes to games anyway.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

Axe

My current PC is pretty good, but the fact that it runs Win7 Starter completely ruins the experience. I'd get Win7 Professional, but the Institute servers are a piece of ass that can't download anything at more than a couple kilobytes per second, and I don't like pirating OSes.

*sign*

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 119 days before it was shut down So cool. Strike-free for more than 3 years. Congrats! i was a janitor<br />
<br />
i think Welcome to the Few. The Proud. The Moderators. For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread!
For posting after Dopply

Maq

Actually, sorry for making another dumb post, but I think I'm just going to build a new desktop by buying parts separately and putting them in my old case. I just hope the oldness of it doesn't become a problem. I mean, it's not broken, but it's running 32-bit XP and like, 518 GB of RAM : |

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

theFXexpert

Does any one know how to resize an animated gif image?

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards 10 Matches Completed [Good Job!] Chewbot gives congrats for having 41 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 51 videos For participating in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest! For taking third place in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest. Congratulations! Great job serving on the staff! ("predictable" "promotion" joke) Most Helpful Member 2014, Most Helpful Member 2015, Favorite Staff Member 2015 For updating DPY's article on Chewiki. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Thanks for the donation tennis award For your contribution to YouChew's favorite Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos 10 Collab Entries of Exquisite Excrement Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year December 2011 - Brain rape/Rape-core followed by bill o'reilly who read from the koran

Smonge

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/228981/linaro_now_a_year_old_the_linux_effort_begins_to_deliver.html

The gambit of Ubuntu 11.04's Unity may very well pay off despite the skepticism . I've wanted a tablet running Ubuntu for a long time, but have conceded that I really just don't have the know how to buy a cheap one and hack it to run Ubuntu. And for $199, I'd easily lap that up. Or better than Ubuntu--Jolicloud. There's an OS that's just way too cool to be limited to netbooks.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. For writing 11289 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. October 2013 - "Still the Road is Full of Photographs" (YTPMV) Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Simply Simple Simply Simple 2013, Favorite Staff Member 2014, Friendliest User 2015, Most Helpful Member 2015 2013 Thanks for being awesome, Smonge. June 2012 - Overall, Regular For the category of Most Helpful Member
2013, Friendliest User 2014, Most Helpful Member 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For the Innovation in Simplicity Collab. Stayed strike-free for 1 year.

AGSMA

Ok. I solved the overheating problem on my laptop. Now there's only on problem remaining on it: FUCKING FREEZING.

Is there a way to get rid of it? Or it's just usual on Acer laptops?

Macho Madness

My graphics card is onboard but has 1.3GB of GFX RAM. I'm using a Dell laptop with the Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3400, 3GB of RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, and a 130GB HDD.

I was planning on saving up for a new desktop computer, but I don't know exactly what would be the absolute best for the lowest price without becoming outdated quicky.

I was looking at This model and I made a couple modifications to keep the FPS high but make it a little more affordable. Is it worth it? The site also tacks on $75 dollars shipping and handling so keep that in mind. I really don't want my mom to go out and just buy the cheapest computer at Walmart.

Thanks for the donation. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Posting after Dopply For being a winner in the Trap Master competition!

Axe

Does anyone know if using a genuine license key on a pirated Windows 7 would work? I'm sick and tired of Windows 7 Starter, and Ultimate is just too expensive around these parts. And yes, I've tried Microsoft's Anytime Upgrade thing to see if I can get it at a lower price, and surprise! It's not available in my country!

Augh.

<br />
For posting after Dopply

Whelt

There's a thing called "Windows 7 Loader" that supposedly lets you validate any copy of Windows 7. I'm still on a legal Vista so I haven't tried anything related to 7 yet, but you could look that up.

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

Dopply

Look up 'Daz Windows 7 Loader'. Version 2.0 or so. I won't say any more than that.

Also Whelt I'm going to help your ass get a better video card. And you too, Axe! Computers, if you'd please.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Granting permission for a card that was later dropped For releasing articles on YouChew's Best of the Year series from 2007-2015. It's gonna hurt It's yours, my friend Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For taking second place in 2014's Chew-or-Treat awards. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years User with Funniest Avatars 2014
Spirit of YouChew 2017 Spirit of YouChew 2014, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2015
Spirit of YouChew 2016, Smartest User 2016, Most Helpful Member 2016, Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - Sentence mix-core, Classic For the categories of Funniest Signature and Spirit of YouChew.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015 February 2012 - "Merlin's Penis" (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down Cause he's Dopply!<br />
<br />
And for posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! Yesterday should count, right? For my cock. Obviously. A thanks to myself, I suppose, pardner. Miss10 gave this to me, and congratulated me. I felt special. For moderator service. For the most Fucking Horrifying Character in Rabbit's Character Study contest.<br />
<br />
Good work!

Bya

I have a feeling that I can do stuff to optimize my computer without buying shit but I'm way too lazy to do it.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 7 videos