BlackNight645

General Computer Discussion Thread

2,616 replies to this topic

Dopply

I bet I could help you too, Bya!

Well Whelt is unhelpable because he's using a fucking laptop but what about you Axe?

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Granting permission for a card that was later dropped For releasing articles on YouChew's Best of the Year series from 2007-2015. It's gonna hurt It's yours, my friend Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For taking second place in 2014's Chew-or-Treat awards. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years User with Funniest Avatars 2014
Spirit of YouChew 2017 Spirit of YouChew 2014, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2015
Spirit of YouChew 2016, Smartest User 2016, Most Helpful Member 2016, Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - Sentence mix-core, Classic For the categories of Funniest Signature and Spirit of YouChew.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015 February 2012 - "Merlin's Penis" (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down Cause he's Dopply!<br />
<br />
And for posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! Yesterday should count, right? For my cock. Obviously. A thanks to myself, I suppose, pardner. Miss10 gave this to me, and congratulated me. I felt special. For moderator service. For the most Fucking Horrifying Character in Rabbit's Character Study contest.<br />
<br />
Good work!

Bya

Hey, if a laptop gave out free sex I'd use it too.

But yeah, I really don't even have the money for a video card, but I appreciate the offer. I'll post some specs after I clean my room.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 7 videos

Whelt

I may be getting my desktop PC back soon, if it gets fixed. It's been out of commission for like 4 years and we just now took it to somebody, so who knows if it's still any good anyway LOL

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

Axe

Well if you insist:

-Intel DG41CN desktop board

-Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.93GHz 64-bit compatible

-500 GB HDD

-3 GB RAM

-Intel G41 Express integrated graphics chip with 832 MB shared memory

-Windows 7 Starter 32-bit

And completely unrelated: After trying it out for several months, I decided to get rid of my Ubuntu partition. It was harder than expected; in the process I fucked up the Master Boot Record and had to find my Win7 DVD in a pile of boxes. It was worth it, though!

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 119 days before it was shut down So cool. Strike-free for more than 3 years. Congrats! i was a janitor<br />
<br />
i think Welcome to the Few. The Proud. The Moderators. For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread!
For posting after Dopply

Dopply

All you need is a video card and you're fuckin' set!

What kind of computer is it? I need to find the power supply wattage. I'm pretty sure Newegg ships internationally, right?

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Granting permission for a card that was later dropped For releasing articles on YouChew's Best of the Year series from 2007-2015. It's gonna hurt It's yours, my friend Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For taking second place in 2014's Chew-or-Treat awards. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years User with Funniest Avatars 2014
Spirit of YouChew 2017 Spirit of YouChew 2014, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2015
Spirit of YouChew 2016, Smartest User 2016, Most Helpful Member 2016, Favorite Staff Member 2016
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - Sentence mix-core, Classic For the categories of Funniest Signature and Spirit of YouChew.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015 February 2012 - "Merlin's Penis" (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down Cause he's Dopply!<br />
<br />
And for posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! Yesterday should count, right? For my cock. Obviously. A thanks to myself, I suppose, pardner. Miss10 gave this to me, and congratulated me. I felt special. For moderator service. For the most Fucking Horrifying Character in Rabbit's Character Study contest.<br />
<br />
Good work!

Axe

All you need is a video card and you're fuckin' set!

What kind of computer is it? I need to find the power supply wattage. I'm pretty sure Newegg ships internationally, right?

Now that you mention it, I have no clue! I'll get you back on that.

And I think Newegg ships internationally, but I'd rather look around for whatever card you're thinking of locally first.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 119 days before it was shut down So cool. Strike-free for more than 3 years. Congrats! i was a janitor<br />
<br />
i think Welcome to the Few. The Proud. The Moderators. For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread!
For posting after Dopply

Dopply

Newegg is usually way cheaper, even with shipping. The only way you can get it cheaper is if you know a vendor or work off of a illegitimate market. Then again, I've never been to Costa Rica!

<br />
<br />
Good work!

Axe

Welp, it's apparently a 500W power supply. I actually expected it to be lower, for some reason.

<br />
For posting after Dopply

Dopply

Do you have any PCIe power connectors? If you don't know, that's fine.

Anyways, I'm sure you have a PCIe card connector.

Based on your hardware, I'd select either a Radeon HD 5770 or an Nvidia GTX 460. Both cards at in the $100-200 range. If you'd like something a bit lower, look into the HD 5670...it's below $100 and it's a fantastic card, just not very future-proofed (not that you can future proof anything, what's new today will become history tomorrow, etc).

<br />
<br />
Good work!

Axe

Actually, I think I do. And I'll check those out, thanks!

<br />
For posting after Dopply

Macho Madness

I have a feeling that I can do stuff to optimize my computer without buying shit but I'm way too lazy to do it.

download a program called gamebooster, and turn it on before you start your games.

Thanks for the donation. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Posting after Dopply For being a winner in the Trap Master competition!

Smonge

Call me an absolutely freaking insane n00b, but after some evaluation I really no longer see any reason to maintain a dedicated Ubuntu partition short of WUBI. Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking--WUBI, and I remember using it too. It wasn't exactly a bad experience, but there's a world of difference performance-wise between a real install and a WUBI install.

Fact is, when I open up a disk utility and see four different partitions for swap memory, Windows and its restore PE, and Ubuntu it just seems like way too much taking up my meager 160gb hard drive. Since WUBI piggybacks off of Windows' filesystem, I only have to maintain two partitions for Windows. Reinstalling Ubuntu WUBI is easier than redefining the partitions in Ubiquity, so is uninstalling. Got a problem with your install? Nuke it in Windows, reinstall it and then restore your backup.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. For writing 11289 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. October 2013 - "Still the Road is Full of Photographs" (YTPMV) Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Simply Simple Simply Simple 2013, Favorite Staff Member 2014, Friendliest User 2015, Most Helpful Member 2015 2013 Thanks for being awesome, Smonge. June 2012 - Overall, Regular For the category of Most Helpful Member
2013, Friendliest User 2014, Most Helpful Member 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For the Innovation in Simplicity Collab. Stayed strike-free for 1 year.

Katamari101

Okay, so, I'm planning on upgrading my RAM. I found a rather cheap 4GB RAM set. It runs for about $27 on Newegg. Should I get it? Here's the link:

http://www.newegg.co...al-_-20-148-418

By the way, the computer I'm running has 4GBs of RAM, and is running on a 32bit version of Windows 7.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years

Macho Madness

$27 for 4GB of RAM? jeez that's good.

Instead of upgrading my Graphics card on an old 2005 desktop, I'm getting a new desktop in general. Does the case affect performance like overheating and stuff? I could get the cheapest case and save a lot of money but I also want to make this new computer last so I need to be cautious when cutting little corners to save prices.

The http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Dragon_8000/ Gamer Dragon 8000 looks like a really nice computer and I made some changes to drop the price a little

Thanks for the donation. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Posting after Dopply For being a winner in the Trap Master competition!

Katamari101

Holy fucking shit there was a fucking list of components for a gaming computer here and I made a small edit to it and when I clicked save THE WHOLE FUCKING POST DISAPPEARED.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years

SuperYoshi

You've got an AMD CPU and an Intel motherboard. The two aren't interchangable.

Wads of dosh For staying warn free for 9 years For your immense generosity. Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For having your blog entry featured. 2013, Smartest User 2014, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Smartest User 2015 2013, User with Coolest Avatars 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2014 2013
User with Coolest Signatures - 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years February 2012 - "I'D SAY HE'S HOT ON OUR TAIL" (Overall, Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 15 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 243 days before it was shut down

Katamari101

You've got an AMD CPU and an Intel motherboard. The two aren't interchangable.

Oh, I didn't think of that.

So I can't use an Intel motherboard with an AMD CPU?

Axe

Nope, Intel motherboards use Intel CPUs and AMD motherboards use AMD CPUs. Since I'll guess you're trying to spend as little money as possible, I suggest you look for an AMD motherboard since AMD is usually cheaper.

<br />
For posting after Dopply