• Announcements

• Whelt

Metroid Game Challenge!   09/03/2017

There's a Metroid game challenge going on now. Check it out in the Games forum!
BlackNight645

General Computer Discussion Thread

2,608 replies to this topic

JayfromtheSun   
JayfromtheSun

alienware_cfx_1.jpg

But I suppose, in all seriousness, I've never really known anyone who bothered to get an Alienware. Most people I know who are serious about gaming tend to build their own computers.

Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For staying strike free for 5 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Posting after Dopply

lordbababa   
lordbababa

The only thing I like about alienware is the case. Is there any way I can buy just the case?

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Meeting TINS Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 12 videos for 5 tennis matches. like a true tennis-playing patriot.

BlackNight645   
BlackNight645

I do like how you can pick your own color for the laptop and I think the desktop also.

For the sharing of precious, precious flesh. KNOCKOUT- PERFECT A B C, it's easy as 1 2 3

SuperYoshi   
SuperYoshi

Alienwares are good computers, but they are grossly, grossly overpriced for what they are. Unless you're getting a laptop for gaming (In which case why) then don't bother with any of their products. You're much better off looking at Newegg or Tiger Direct. Hell, even stores like Best Buy generally have decent deals on pre-built computers.

Anyway, this week I just replaced my old EVGA eGeForce 9800GT with a PNY GeForce GTX 460 and my 400W power supply with a 600W one. Excellent stuff.

Wads of dosh For staying warn free for 9 years For your immense generosity. Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For having your blog entry featured. 2013, Smartest User 2014, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Smartest User 2015 2013, User with Coolest Avatars 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2014 2013
User with Coolest Signatures - 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years February 2012 - "I'D SAY HE'S HOT ON OUR TAIL" (Overall, Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 15 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 243 days before it was shut down

BlackNight645   
BlackNight645

Sooner or later I'm going to get a Gaming PC so I can begin playing all the games that I have on the PC faster.

But for now, my computer can barely play a few games, also I need video card.

For the sharing of precious, precious flesh. KNOCKOUT- PERFECT A B C, it's easy as 1 2 3

Bya   
Bya

Yeah this one time I took my computer case off and there were these little glowy dudes throwing discs at each other.

Shit was trippy, man.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 7 videos

mot   
mot

Current build:

Intel Core i7-950 @3.06GHz (saving up for a new cooler so I can OC this to the 4.2GHz mark)

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R REV2 motherboard

6GB DDR3 Corsair RAM

ATI Sapphire HD5850 GPU

Corsair HX850 PSU

Lian-Li PC-P50 case

Noctua case cooling

Crappy generic DVD drive/1TB 5400RPM HDD

Started building this machine in September '09. It started as decent HP compact desktop, so it's come a long way. A new CPU cooler is next on my list, and I should have enough for it by the end of the month. A faster hard drive should really take first priority, but at the rate the price of SSDs are dropping... I know I'd regret buying a mechanical drive when my machine was easily overtaken by less powerful computers with SSD storage, but at the same time buying an SSD now would be silly as I'd be able to get it for half price in a few months.

I'm currently running W7 x64, haven't set up my Linux partition yet because my motherboard has a couple of dedicated SATA controllers which Ubuntu seems to have a hard time interfacing with.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 35 days before it was shut down mod.def Fuck I dunno TITS Thanks, mot.

Axe   
Axe

I have one of those basic Intel G41 motherboards, it does it's work.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 119 days before it was shut down So cool. Strike-free for more than 3 years. Congrats! i was a janitor<br />
<br />
i think Welcome to the Few. The Proud. The Moderators. For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread!
For posting after Dopply

BlackNight645   
BlackNight645

More and likely, I will either buy the Computer with all the parts, buy the pieces separate.

appdirect   
appdirect

I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu and dual-boot with Windows Vista, but it seems hard.

For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016, Member with Funniest Posts 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.

Cortes   
Cortes

Tryna put together a build for 3d modeling and animation. Just want something that can run zbrush and max well.

Newegg hasn't made my wishlist public so I'm just copy n pastin:

Mobo

GPU

Psu

amd

Hdr

case

disk drive

sitting around $650 right now with an external hard drive, cables, monitor etc added to the mix. Might do dual monitors too.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos March 2012 - Classic For being on the Vanilla forums for 192 days before it was shut down

mot   
mot

That PSU won't power it, I'd say a 650W-750W one would do the trick and leave you with some power for future upgrades. I'd recommend the Corsair HX series, I use their 850W model and it's extremely reliable. Everything else looks fine.

I would recommend the Intel i7 series for 3D modelling or any other CAD-related software, but it's certainly not worth the price that Newegg puts on it.

edit: you might want to consider buying a 7200RPM HDD instead, and what RAM will you be using?

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 35 days before it was shut down mod.def Fuck I dunno TITS Thanks, mot.

Cortes   
Cortes

I'll check out more HDDs. Computer buildin is entirely new for me, so I'm happy most of what I chose goes together.

I'm going to use 240-pin ddr3 ram, two 2gb sticks.

edit: looking at either this or this

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos March 2012 - Classic For being on the Vanilla forums for 192 days before it was shut down

Robotic   
Robotic

Alienwares are good computers, but they are grossly, grossly overpriced for what they are. Unless you're getting a laptop for gaming (In which case why) then don't bother with any of their products. You're much better off looking at Newegg or Tiger Direct. Hell, even stores like Best Buy generally have decent deals on pre-built computers.

Anyway, this week I just replaced my old EVGA eGeForce 9800GT with a PNY GeForce GTX 460 and my 400W power supply with a 600W one. Excellent stuff.

Oh fuck yeah, I have the GTX 460 as well, wonderful card for the price. Im using an i3 with it and getting great results, somehow even running Metro 2033 at max settings with not awful FPS.

I really want an i5 though. Would be a great upgrade and not too expensive. Dont see the point in getting an i7 for gaming though.

EDIT: cortes, get that TB hard drive.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

mot   
mot

That i3 will seriously be bottlenecking your GPU. I upgraded to i7 for Christmas, and my minimum framerate on TF2 at 1920x1200 jumped from 30 to 130. Worth every penny.

Ok. Now I'm confused. While on Fnac.pt there's this graphic card, on game-debate.com, I find another with the same name, but it looks completly different.

Are these the same? And if they are, is it recommendable?

They'll have slight differences, but nothing remarkable. One of them's a stock GPU, whereas the other one's made my Gigabyte, so it'll probably have a custom cooler or overclocking or something. And yeah, the HD5770 is a pretty good card.

Robotic   
Robotic

getting 300 fps on tf2(I seriously need to cap that at 120). I haven't measured crysis but it feels fine. Im sure I could do something to improve performance, but given how much I spent on this build, Im extremely happy.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year