The Game Boy is an 8-bit handheld video game device developed and manufactured by Nintendo. It was released in Japan on April 21, 1989, in North America in August 1989, and in Europe on September 28, 1990. It is the first handheld console in the Game Boy line, and was created by Gunpei Yokoi and Nintendo R&D 1, the same staff who had designed the Game & Watch series, as well as several popular games for the Nintendo Entertainment System.
Other Types of Game Boys
- Game Boy Pocket
Released in 1996. It was designed as a smaller version of the Game Boy, using less batteries. A variation with a backlight was also made, and only released in Japan.
- Game Boy Color
Released in 1998. It was the first in the series to feature a colored screen, more processing power, and 3 times more memory than the original.
- Game Boy Advance
Released in 2001. The L and R buttons were added. It has a more horizontal profile.
- Game Boy Advance SP
Released in 2003. It is the first in the series to have a backlit screen and it folds for easy portability.
- Game Boy Micro
Released in 2005. The smallest of the game boy line, but the most expensive one in the line. Was also limited to GBA only.
People who own a Game Boy
The most notable example of a Game Boy in a Youtube Poop is in Robotnik and his Gameboy by CraaazyCat13. In said poop, Grounder gives Dr. Robotnik a Game Boy and "Super Robotnik Land", a fictional game for it. At first, Robotnik is killed by Sonic, but, after reading the Enclosed Instruction Book, Robotnik learns how to have "more muscles in his Pingas", and then kills Sonic with his pingas. He then encounters a boss named "Kingman".
- The original Game Boy is one of the highest selling video game consoles of all time.
- The 2 most popular Game Boy games: Tetris, and the Pokemon games.
- In the late '80s and '90s Game Boys were bought not just by parents for their kids, but were also bought by businessmen and other professionals. Nintendo even had adverts targeting said professionals, showing executives, lawyers, carpenters, and the like enjoying a quick game on their Game Boys. This, plus the fact that parents often bought their children individual Game Boys, was a contributing factor in its record sales.
- The original Game Boy is region free, which means games from anywhere will play on it. In fact, there are no differences whatsoever between Game Boys from any giver region, save for Korean Game Boys, which have the Hyundai Comboy logo.
- In various regions, special edition Game Boys were released with different appearances, such as the Manchester United Game Boy, a red Game Boy with Manchester United logos, sold in the United Kingdom.
- Contrary to popular belief, both Pokemon Gold and Silver will, indeed, play on an original 1989 model Game Boy. In fact, both games still have "DMG" in their product codes, indicating an original Game Boy game. Pokemon Crystal does not, however, work, though.
- In 2004 Nintendo released cartridges called Game Boy Advance Video. They included cartoons such as Dragon Ball GT, Pokémon, SpongeBob SquarePants, Sonic X, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Yu-Gi-Oh!. As well as full length movies such as Shrek.