The Atari 2600 is a video game console released in October 1977 by Atari, Inc. It is credited with popularizing the use of microprocessor-based hardware and cartridges containing game code, instead of having non-microprocessor dedicated hardware with all games built in. The first game console to use this format was the Fairchild Channel F; however, the Atari 2600 receives credit for making the plug-in concept popular among the game-playing public.
The console was originally sold as the Atari VCS, for Video Computer System. Following the release of the Atari 5200, in 1982, the VCS was renamed "Atari 2600", after the unit's Atari part number, CX2600. The 2600 was typically bundled with two joystick controllers, a conjoined pair of paddle controllers, and a cartridge game—initially Combat and later Pac-Man(even though the port of Pac-Man was horrible on the atari 2600). The Atari 2600 was wildly successful, and during much of the 1980s, "Atari" was a synonym for this model in mainstream media and, by extension, for video games in general.
The Atari 2600 was inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame at The Strong in Rochester, New York in 2007. In 2009, the Atari 2600 was named the second greatest video game console of all time by IGN, who cited its remarkable role as the console behind both the first video game boom and the video game crash of 1983 (which was caused by a glut of shitty games, such as E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial and for other reasons), and called it "the console that our entire industry is built upon."
- Video Olympics (Pong)
- Missile Command
- Home Run
- Pole Position (Oh, no, you ain't. You're gonna play...POLE POSITION!)
- Space Invaders
- Grand Prix
- E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial
- Custer's Revenge
- here's a list of all atari 2600 games
People who own an Atari 2600
- The Irate Gamer
- The AVGN
- SirSnivyofNottingham (a working 6-switch system from 1978, a working board from a 1981 4-switch system, and a working 1986 Junior model).
- People who lived in The '70s and '80s
- YTStaff ComeAtMe
First used in a poop by
Sometimes Used By
- The Atari 2600 had a few porno games, believe it or not. Some of them include Custer's Revenge, Bachelor Party, Beat 'Em and Eat 'Em, and others.
- Is the second longest lasting console of all time, lasting from 1977 to 1992, beaten only by the Famicom (1983-2003). However,it beat the PS2(2000-2013).
- In 1982, Atari tried to replace the Atari 2600 with the Atari 5200, due to the increasing presence of more powerful systems like Colecovision and Intellivision. However, the Atari 5200 would prove to be unpopular, and died a couple years later, in 1984, the same year that the Atari 2600 itself would die the first time. Unlike the Atari 2600, the Atari 5200 would not experience a revival in 1986.
- The Atari 7800 was the first game console to have backwards compatibility with the Atari 2600.