A Saiyan child sent to earth, found and raised by the sage Gohan. Gohan named the child Goku, and although he was wild at first, an accident where the frenzied child fell and bumped his head turned him into a friendly and peaceful child. At one point, a young Goku glared upon the full moon and transformed into a giant ape known as an Oozaru. In his uncontrollable state, Gohan is killed and the young Goku is left isolated.
Alone, Goku became a fearless and chivalrous young boy who would help those in need and in effect live a life of adventure. He trains under the turtle hermit Master Roshi and becomes a powerful fighter. His earlier achievements involve second place in his first attempt at participating in the Budokai tournament, losing to his master in the finals, and eliminating a corrupted organization known as the Red Ribbon Army. Goku enters the Budokai tournament again, again achieving second place.
Immediately after the tournament, Goku meets his first archnemesis; the Great Demon King Piccolo. Through force of will over the deaths of many of his friends, Goku eventually overcomes Piccolo and saves the world from his tyranny. He later learns of the Demon King's son, Piccolo Junior, who wanted to kill Goku and avenge his father. Goku and Piccolo Junior fight in the finals of the third Budokai tournament, where Goku is victorious and claims his first triumph at the competition. He spares Piccolo however, knowing that he brought out the best of him, much to everyone else's dismay.
The Saiyan Saga
Years later, the Saiyan Raditz comes to earth and reveals that he is Goku's brother, revealing Goku's true heritage as one of a dying race of space pirates. Raditz is eventually killed by Piccolo, but Goku sacrificed his own life to ensure that Piccolo did not miss. By this time, Goku had a son who he named Gohan after the man who raised him. Goku was dead, but his friends promised to bring him back to life using the Dragonballs.
The Frieza Saga
Later, the protagonists decide to chase Vegeta back to the Planet Namek, Piccolo's birth planet, where they find themselves fighting alongside both the reformed Piccolo and Vegeta against the power hungry planet destroyer Frieza. Goku is sleeping, training, or on his way there, leaving everyone else to fight the extremely flamboyant Ginyu Force. Then he arrives in the nick of time just so he can beat up Recoome. In the end, Goku transforms into a Super Saiyan and defeats Frieza, seemingly dying in the planet's explosion as his friends return to earth.
The Cell Saga
Goku returns however to find that his friends have been warned of coming androids. Goku spends most of the battle against the androids recovering from a virus, but upon his recovery, he finds that the androids have been absorbed by a more evil android called Cell. Cell runs a tournament in which Goku and all his friends, including the now reformed Vegeta, participate in. Goku loses his fight with Cell, but then tells his son Gohan to fight Cell instead. When Gohan's inner rage pushes him to the level of Super Saiyan 2, he defeats Cell.
The cunning android would not be defeated so easily however. He threatened to self-destruct himself and take the whole planet with him. Goku takes action once again, teleporting both Cell and himself to King Kai's secluded planet in the other world, sacrificing himself to save the planet.
Although Cell regenerated following the explosion, he is eventually defeated by Gohan.
The Buu Saga
During the rise of a powerful creature called Majin Buu, Goku is returned to life once again. By this time he has conceived a son (or clone as many suspect) named Goten, and has achieved the level of Super Saiyan 3. To defeat Buu however he is forced to fuse with long time rival Vegeta, becoming Vegito. The two saiyans together dominate Buu, but eventually their fusion is broken during a trip inside Buu to save their captured friends, but Vegeta managed to return Buu to a primal wilder yet weaker state.
The wilder Buu immediately destroys the planet without warning. Goku and Vegeta eventually fight Buu again on the planet of the Kais after using the Namekian Dragonballs to revive the earth and its people, and although both are individually defeated by the creature, Vegeta formulates a plan for Goku to create a spirit bomb containing the energies of all the people of the newly revived earth, whilst Vegeta distracted Buu. The plan was successful, and thus Buu was defeated and earth saved for the last time in canon Dragonball history (that's right folks, I can confirm that GT and all after it are NOT canon).
Where is he now?
Since then, Goku has been training a black kid named Uub (gee what a creative name) to be his successor. Because, you know. Saving the universe gets boring after a while.
- Super Famicom
- Chi Chi
- When Chi Chi gives him the "mouth present"
- Do I really need to list all of Goku's bum chums?
- Is terrified of needles.
- Goku's power level in the Saiyan Saga was over 9000. Since then, it's got to be in the billions or something.
- Is often compared to Superman. Therefore, needles are Goku's kryptonite.
- Wanted to join Vegeta in a hole that apparently led him into a place surrounded by gumdrops and ice cream.
- At first, Goku was the only Super Saiyan. Now, everybody and their brothers, even Goten, Trunks, Sonic, Shadow and Knuckles are Super Saiyans.
- I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!
- This is a Super Saiyan. And this... is what is known as a Super Saiyan that has ascended beyond a Super Saiyan. Or, you can just call it Super Saiyan 2.
- Sorry to keep you waiting.
- I am a Saiyan! From Earth!
- For all of the people you've killed, as well as the Nameks you've destroyed... I AM GOING TO BEAT YOU!
- This time you're going to pay! FRIEZA!
- I'm quitting.
- It's your balls, Bulma! They're gone!
- Seems like you were having fun while I was stuck down in hell!
- I get it! Instead of a tail, you have an extra butt!
- If I won't, who WILL!?
- HOW WAS I TO KNOW IT WAS BROKEN!?
- Hey, if you want me... you got me!
- I don't have a brother!
- I'm angry!
- Being naked is a natural thing.
- DRAAAAGOOOONNN FIIIIIIIIIIIISSSST!
Victories and Losses
People Defeated by Goku
- Yamcha (big surprise there)
- General Blue
- Mercenary Tao (who then came back as a cyborg)
- Demon King Piccolo
- Chi Chi
- Tien Shinhan
- Captain Ginyu
- Super Buu
- Kid Buu
- Dr. Wheelo
- Android 13
- Super 17
- The Shadow Dragons
- Taco Wiz
- Cowboy Curtis
People who have defeated Goku
- Master Roshi
- Tao Pai Pai
- Demon King Piccolo
- Mr Popo
- Oozaru Vegeta
- Captain Ginyu (if you count the fact that he ran off inside Goku's body as a loss)
- Android 19
- Kid Buu
- Count Dracula
- Hulk Hogan
- Dirty Harry
- Poptarts (they were waaaay too hot. Goku died in screaming agony.)
- Almost YamiMario, but got K.O.ed by Harry Potter
- Princess Daisy (Yeah, you can't believe it, but it's true, she can smash Bowser with a single hit)
- Dan Hibiki
- Dio Brando