Macintosh is a personal computer platform that has varied over the years. They were first released by Apple in 1984 after the failure of the Apple Lisa.
Some people prefer to use these machines to make Youtube Poops instead of Windows PCs. Macs with Intel processors (made since 2006) also have the ability to run Windows via a "Boot Camp" partition or by virtualization.
System Software/Mac OS versions
- Mac System Software (1984): The very first version of the Macintosh system, released in 1984.
- System Software 1.0 (1986): Actually version 3.1.
- Mac System Software 2.0 (1987): Actually version 4.0.
- System 5 (1987): Actually version 4.2. Added multifinder, for multitasking.
- System 6 (1988): Added support for Superdrive and modern 1.4MB floppy disks.
- System 7 (1991): A major overhaul of the system, and also the last to be called "System".
- Mac OS 7.6: Update of System 7. First version to be called "Mac OS".
- Mac OS 8 (1997): The last version to run on 68k Macs, with later versions being the first PPC-only versions.
- Mac OS 9 (1999): The last non-Unix-based version of Mac OS, prior to OS X.
- Mac OS X Cheetah (2001): The first "home" version of OS X.
- Mac OS X Puma (2001)
- Mac OS X Jaguar (2002)
- Mac OS X Panther (2003)
- Mac OS X Tiger (2005)
- Mac OS X Leopard (2007): The last version of Mac OS X to work on PPC Macs (with G4 and G5 processors.)
- Mac OS X Snow Leopard (2009): The first Mac OS Intel-only version.
- Mac OS X Lion (2011)
- Mac OS X Mountain Lion (2012)
- Mac OS X Mavericks (2013): Start of convention of naming systems after California landmarks, instead of cats.
- Mac OS X Yosemite (2014)
- Mac OS X El Capitan(2015)
- Mac OS Sierra (2016): Now just called "Mac OS".
- Mac OS High Sierra (2017)
- Mac OS Mojave (2018)
- Mac OS Catalina (2019): The first all- 64-bit version of Mac OS; 32-bit apps won't run on it anymore.
- The Macintosh has had 3 different CPUs:
- iMovie is one of various video editing softwares for a Mac. Adobe Premiere works with Macs, too.
- Despite the name, iClone is not for Mac.
- Nowadays, Apple is mostly known for products like the iPod, the iPhone, and the iPad. Wow, they sure do have a lot of products that start with a lower-case "I".
- In addition, Apple still makes the Macintosh line, with the most recent versions being the Intel-based iMac, the Mac Pro, and the Mac Mini, as well as the line of MacBooks.