Final Fantasy is an
overrated RPG series made by Square. By far, the most popular entries in the series are VI, X, IX, and especially Final Fantasy VII. It has had a somewhat confusing release history in North America (Final Fantasy VI was branded in North America as Final Fantasy III initially, and Final Fantasy IV was given the moniker Final Fantasy II, only to then jump to Final Fantasy VII), but Square has patched this up with the magic of ports and remakes. Every single title in the main series is now playable on at least two systems, with IV in particular being playable on every system ever. Having sold over 100 million units, it's one of the most popular RPG series worldwide, although Dragon Quest is probably more popular in Japan. Probably.
Characters from the series have appeared in the crossover series Kingdom Hearts and in the fighting games Dissidia Final Fantasy and Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring.
Despite the name, it shows no sign of ending.
- Long running video game series made by Square/Square-Enix.
- 1987 - eternity
With emphasis given to those seen in Youtube Poops Hoo boy.
- The Warriors of Light (Warrior, Thief, Monk, Black Mage, White Mage, Red Mage, Warrior of Light)
- The Emperor
- The Onion Knights (Luneth, Ingus, Arc, Refia)
- Cloud of Darkness
- Cecil Harvey
- Kain Highwind
- Rosa Joanne Farrell
- Edward Chris von Muir (YOU SPOONY BARD)
- Tellah (the guy who said the above line)
- Bartz Klauser
- Lenna Charlotte Tycoon
- Faris Scherwiz
- Terra Branford
- Locke Cole
- Celes Chere
- Setzer Gabbiani
- Kefka Palazzo
- Cloud Strife
- Aerith Gainsborough
- Tifa Lockhart
- Barret Wallace
- Vincent Valentine
- Squall Leonhart
- Rinoa Heartilly
- Seifer Almasy
- Laguna Loire
- Zidane Tribal
- Garnet til Alexandros
- Vivi Ornitier
- Adelbert Steiner
- Seymour Guado
- Basch fon Ronseburg
- Vayne Solidor
- Judge Gabranth
- Lightning Farron
- Serah Farron
- Snow Villiers
- Sazh Katzroy
- Noel Kreiss
- Noctis Lucis Caelum
- Ignis Stupeo Scientia(THAT'S IT! I've come up with a new recipe!)
- Cid of the Lufaine
- Cid Haze
- Cid Pollendina
- Cid Previa
- Cid Del Norte Marquez
- Cid Highwind
- Cid Kramer
- Cid Fabool IX
- Dr. Cid
- Cid Raines
- Cid nan Garlond
Among others. A lot of others.
Games In The series
In addition to the
XV 15 numbered installments, there are also a lot of spinoffs.
- Final Fantasy I - The one that started it all.
- Final Fantasy II - The worst FF game ever. Be thankful it didn't initially leave Japan.
- Final Fantasy III - Took over 16 years to leave Japan. Better than II, but it hasn't aged too well.
- Final Fantasy IV - First one for SNES, and when the series started getting good.
- Final Fantasy V - A goofy game about an evil tree. Originally skipped in North America. Also the first appearance of GILGAMESH.
- Final Fantasy VI - When the series started to get REALLY GOOD.
- Final Fantasy VII - Does this need an explanation?
- Final Fantasy VIII - You either love it or you hate it. Also contains a really addictive card-playing minigame.
- Final Fantasy IX - The game that pushed the PS1 to the limit.
- Final Fantasy X - The first for PS2 and one of its killer apps. According to TRUE FANS, it was the LAST GOOD FINAL FANTASY EVER.
- Final Fantasy XI - An MMORPG. Also the last game made before the Square/Enix merger.
- Final Fantasy XII - Take Star Wars, set it in medieval times, and you get this game.
- Final Fantasy XIII - Mention this game anywhere on the Internet, and I guarantee that there WILL be a flamewar. It's actually not that bad.
- Final Fantasy XIV - Another MMO that was originally the equivalent of Sonic '06. However, Squeenix revamped it. The new 2.0 version looks actually good. Oh and did you know one of the expansions was hyped up by pro wrestling stable The New Day? They dressed up as Red Mages and Samurais, it was nuts.
- Final Fantasy XV - 10 years in the making and what did we get? A big gay roadtrip.
And for the spinoffs...
- Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - A "beginner's RPG". Not particularly well-remembered.
- Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - Self-explanatory.
- Final Fantasy IV Interlude - Transition between IV and the After Years.
- The Compilation of Final Fantasy VII - Because one wasn't enough.
- Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII - A shooter game starring Vincent. You either love or hate it.
- Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - An action RPG starring Zack. Actually pretty well-liked.
- Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII - A mobile phone game exclusive to Japan.
- Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children - Not a game, but a movie. To enjoy it properly, ignore the weak plot and instead focus on the awesome battles and glorious CGI.
- Final Fantasy X-2 - The girliest FF game ever made.
- Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - Vaan is actually the main character this time.
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 - The sequel to XIII. Probably even more controversial than the first.
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - Another sequel. Lightning returns in this one!!
- Final Fantasy Versus XIII - The new Duke Nukem Forever.
- Final Fantasy Type-0 - A really late PSP game that may or may not come to NA and Europe.
- Final Fantasy Tactics - Strategy RPG released during the PS1 days. Probably the most beloved spinoff.
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics... ON GAMEBOY ADVANCE. SHOCKER.
- Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - Sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance... ON DS.
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles - Plug some GBAs into a GameCube for some "crazy" multiplayer action.
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
- Final Fantasy Cystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
- Dissidia Final Fantasy - A crossover fighting game featuring one hero and one villain from the first ten games.
- Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy - The prequel to Dissidia with even more characters and even more fanservice.
- Dissidia NT: What if we HD'd the shit out of Dissidia, put it in arcades, added Y'shtola, then put it on PS4?
- Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light - An homage to the early days of the series, and RPGs in general.
- Bravely Default: Flying Fairy - The sequel, released on 3DS. Its title is ridiculous even by SE standards.
- Theatrhythm Final Fantasy - It's basically Elite Beat Agents with FF music. Probably one of the most winning combinations imaginable.
- Vagrant Story - Not truly an FF game, but it's set in the same world as Tactics and FFXII.
I need a drink.
Being a popular game series, it is most often used by newcomers.
Final Fantasy has attracted a lot of criticism, mostly for its cast full of feminine men, sometimes melodramatic plotlines, and confusing gameplay systems (Junctioning? What's that!?). While Final Fantasy VII has been praised as one of the greatest video games of all time, it has similarly been criticized by saying that although it is a good game, it isn't the best. This has ranged from slight disappointment to outright hate. Worth noting is that every single game in the series, starting with VIII, is hated immensely at launch, sells millions of copies and get rave reviews from critics anyway, and then attracts a much greater reputation later in life (similar to the Zelda cycle).
At the very least, we must give VII credit for bringing us such classic lines as: "Will you stop acting like a retard and climb?", "This guy are sick.", and "Sit your ass down in the chair and DRINK YOUR GODDAMN TEA!!!!!!!"
- Actually, the original NES game was created by a bankrupt Squaresoft (now called Square Enix), who intended for the game to be its "final fantasy". It became a success and so far has had about 14 sequels. Wow.
- Squaresoft also made Super Mario RPG, a somewhat similar game featuring Mario characters.
- Sometimes, some of the Final Fantasy characters go to the Super Mario universe...just to play basketball (and some other sports). Who says that Final Fantasy characters were serious all the time?
- Also, the Europeans had it much worse than the Americans because at least they got three games. Final Fantasy didn't happen in Europe until Final Fantasy VII, so yeah.
Main Source For Poopers
Youtube (cutscenes, gameplay walkthroughs, etc.)